Henderson on why he prefers FOX over PPV

After drawing 5.7 million viewers on FOX for his battle with Diaz (with Spanish language viewership on Fox Deportes, the number was likely closer to 6 million U.S. viewers, which would be 7th place all-time), he said he felt it was just another fight, but using the "soccer mom" criteria, he now wants to fight on FOX as opposed to pay-per-view.

"(I felt) probably pretty much the same, but it was taken very well," said Henderson. "I did a pretty good job. I earned a `W.' But just the number of people who tuned in for the main event, 5.5 million (he shortchanged himself), that's a lot of people. That smashes any pay-per-view numbers. A lot of guys talk about pay-per-view buys. I don't give a crap about pay-per-view stuff. I like fighting on the biggest platform and FOX is that platform. I'm excited to be on FOX for the second time in a row. I think that it shows the trust the UFC top brass and the FOX top brass have in me. They think I'll portray the sport in the right manner. I think it's the cool to have that bigger platform. 5.5 million viewers and the core demographic of males, but it's great to be watched by soccer moms who are flipping channels, they stop and watch and become fans. I go to the grocery store now, 50-year-old soccer moms say, `I saw you on TV.' I really dig that, and it only happened after being on that big of a platform."

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

tags: Benson Henderson

mchase126 site profile image

4/2/13 12:18 PM by mchase126

Interesting, I had never heard that.Sounds a little far-fetched, but then again I always thought the numbers for PPVs seemed a lot lower than I would have expected and I guess I got used to seeing the figures and assumed I over-estimated the popularity of the UFC and most of its fighters.

Jaybrone site profile image

4/2/13 4:35 AM by Jaybrone

Ya just ask Nick Diaz.

Gordo1581 site profile image

4/1/13 9:12 PM by Gordo1581

Dana and Lorenzo have mentioned before that PPV's get about 5 to 10 viewers per buy (10 for the big events).

ranier wolfcastle site profile image

4/1/13 8:12 PM by ranier wolfcastle

Henderson on why he prefers Fallon FOX over HPV

mchase126 site profile image

4/1/13 6:39 PM by mchase126

Baseball just opened today... It's not quite NFL-level viewers, but as close as it gets and a similar fanbase.

ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh site profile image

4/1/13 4:39 PM by ThatKickDidntHuroooohhhhhhhh

Because soccer moms are driving this sport forward

Chris27 site profile image

4/1/13 4:28 PM by Chris27

Anyone else think UFC/Fox are making a mistake by putting this good of a card on in April?I've seen no commercials for this event, without the NFL push it seems like this card is getting no attention. Its as good as the Fox 5 card yet I'm betting it wont do near the same ratings. I think its gonna turn out to be a mistake, the spring/summer cards should be above Fight Night but below the big end of the year Fox shows. Use cards like this to promote prospects and contenders. Save the big cards/title fights for the end of the year/early year cards when you have the NFL push.Its gonna be a bad look to see a card like this do 3 million viewers.

Nonlinear site profile image

4/1/13 4:18 PM by Nonlinear

Just because you don't like Fox News doesn't mean it isn't owned by NewsCorp which also owns the Fox Entertainment Group, FX, Fuel TV and others.   "Fox Entertainment Group is wholly owned and controlled by the Australian/American media conglomerate News Corporation" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Entertainment_Group News Corporation owns Fox Entertainment Group, which mean it owns Fox News, The Big Ten Network, Fox Business, 20th Century Fox Films/Television, Searchlight Pictures, The Fox Broadcasting Company (e.g. Family Guy), Fuel TV, FX, The National Geographic Channel, and others.   NewsCorp/Fox is a corporation trying to maximize profit and isn't rigidly ideological it's more like a typical business.  They simply do their homework and learn who their various customers are, segment them into target markets and market to and serve them accordingly.  No mystery as to why they play to both sides it's just business.   It's just brading and clever marketing, do you really think Fox News cares if it's balanced?  No, of course not, it's just a slogan.  Truth is to be avoided at all costs, expectations and perceptions are all that matter.  Is BP really Beyond Petroleum?

KingofBJJ site profile image

4/1/13 3:13 PM by KingofBJJ

Fox's success has been the way in which it sales itself. True enough when it first started, it was with shows like the Simpsons and In Living Color, but it was thanks to the OJ Simpson fiasco that FOX decided to make Cable its home.You confuse Fox News with the rest of Fox Programming. Fox cable shows and their local news are pretty much geared to Mainstream, while Fox News is geared to the conservatives.Although Fox News mentions fair and balanced, it has not been balanced since its first two season when it's shows were wrapped around the OJ Simpson verdict residuals.

Nonlinear site profile image

4/1/13 2:17 PM by Nonlinear

You mean the same Fox Entertainment Group that airs "conservative soccer mom" shows on Animation Domination, e.g. Family Guy, American Dad and the Cleveland Show?   Other moraly upright shows on Fox include(d):  Married... with Children, In Living Color and the terrible Allen Gregory as well as reality shows like Married by America, Who Wants to Marry a Multimillionaire, The Swan and Who's Your Daddy? Methinks your perception of the Fox Entertainment Group needs revision.