Did MMA April Fools go too far in 2013?

In the past the UG Blog habitually ran an April Fool's piece. Last year for example the UFC did not sign Fedor. This year we had hoped to post that Bleacher Report bought the UG Blog, with a quote about integrity and accuracy. However, the better minds at MMAFighting (Luke Thomas) decided to forgo April Fools jokes, and so we didn't.

When Wanderlei Silva convinced the fans, MMA Weekly, Tatame, and his purported opponent Gegard Mousasi that he was on his way to Sweden to fight, many were not amused, including Mousasi.

"IDIOOT OF THE YEAR 2013!!" tweeted Mousasi, who added "Good job JACKASS!!"

Ariel Helwani, too, was not amused.

@wandfc
UFC news my guys fight Saturday agains Musasi!!! What you think? UFC just contact me about Saturday

@arielhelwani
April Fools'?” Trying find out … That would be so, so weak.

@arielhelwani
Ijust asked DW about Wand vs. Mousasi. His response: "Gus is still fighting! It's April fools. Stay of twitter and the net today!" :/

@arielhelwani 1h
As I said on the show today, if you're in the public eye, stop with the April Fool's nonsense. It's not 1985. Such BS.

B/R's Jeremy Botter argues that this year things went too far; the sentiment may find some general support.

Next year, when April Fool's Day rolls around, would you please avoid the requisite "Hey guys, I'm fighting (fill in the blank) at (fill in the blank)" tweets and Facebook posts? Because they aren't funny. I know you think they're cute and clever, and perhaps they would be if, you know, every single other fighter on the UFC's roster didn't use the same April Fool's "joke."

Wanderlei Silva tweeted his "news," and he probably found it pretty hilarious. Good for him. But then he took it one step further and began privately telling journalists—some of whom have known "The Axe Murderer" for years—that yes, it was true, and that he would be fighting Mousasi.

He was asked directly if his tweet was an April Fool's joke. No, he said. It was real. So these journalists ran with the story, as they are supposed to do.

Here's the thing, and I want everyone to listen to me: April Fool's can be fun. It can be creative and inspiring and interesting. But there's a difference between an April Fool's joke and an outright lie.

April Fool's doesn't give you the license to outright lie to your fans or to anyone else, for that matter. Saying that you're taking a fight against Gegard Mousasi on Saturday night, and getting your fans all worked up in the process, isn't a joke. It's a lie.

Read entire article...

What do you think UG? Did The Axe Murderer go too far? Did the reporters go too far? Should MMA news sites stop doing April Fools pieces? What figures or site, if any, got it right?

And did you play any good April Fools pranks?

Venum Wanderlei Silva \

Venum Wanderlei Silva "Wand Shadow" Fight Shorts

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

tags: UFC   Wanderlei Silva (detail)

PermitMeFisticuffsBrother site profile image

4/5/13 3:16 AM by PermitMeFisticuffsBrother

And I'm an insider!

FearTheClown site profile image

4/3/13 11:49 AM by FearTheClown

*Re-tweets* look at me i'm a journalist

benjitsu13 site profile image

4/3/13 11:35 AM by benjitsu13

F*ck Jeremy BotterF*ck Bleacher ReportF*ck CNN, bloodyelbow, + anyone who links to B/RF*ck Ariel and his f*ckin' shoes tooDid I leave anyone out?

PermitMeFisticuffsBrother site profile image

4/3/13 7:31 AM by PermitMeFisticuffsBrother

This just in - Anderson Silva will be fighting fedor in Tokyo on April 1st 2014 in a steel cage.

TopChute site profile image

4/2/13 10:22 PM by TopChute

I'm finding out about this now. Why, you ask? because I stay away from the internet on April 1st. See, I have the sense to know that people play jokes on that day.So-called MMA journalist need to be a little more savvy and be aware of dates on the calendar. If they were not so lazy and ran with a story only after they got confirmation from multiple sources, they wouldn't be so butt hurt. BTW, I think what Wand did was hilarious. Be angry at yourself for being lazy, not Wand.

RileyPust site profile image

4/2/13 9:17 PM by RileyPust

I feel that I have the right to go on Twitter or Facebook and make any jokes I want. Why shouldn't fighters? Journalists are not supposed to 'just run with' any story. You know it's April Fool's, you know you could have Dana clarify. The only guys who got burned were the ones who simply tried to be the first to post it without authenticating it. They all know that Wanderlei doesn't make the fights, do some legwork instead of thinking that hitting 'retweet' makes you a journalist. I'm a fan of Ariel Helwani, but after what he said to FRB on Twitter the other day he doesn't really have any ground to complain about joking like this. And I can't stand FRB. Considering MMA journalists have been trolling us for years, it is silly to suggest that Wanderlei somehow had malicious intent behind his joke That's how I feel anyway.

12SixElbow site profile image

4/2/13 9:15 PM by 12SixElbow

lol @ any  "journalist" who got upset because they get thier news from twitter.   Wandy was pulling an april fools joke on his fans, having fun, it was funny.

xsrg95 site profile image

4/2/13 8:57 PM by xsrg95

WAR WAND! haha

Kings21 site profile image

4/2/13 8:26 PM by Kings21

Godddamn the butthurt is strong with these journalists. Fuckin eh. Waaaah he told me it wasnt an april fools joke and it really was! Get over it. The joke was on you guys and instead of just rollin with it you all got your panties in a bunch. Theres been worse jokes played before, both in the level of amusement and level of appropriateness. No sense in crying about it like someone took your favorite GI Joe.

Chiron site profile image

4/2/13 8:26 PM by Chiron

People actually got offended by that? Everyone should know to take what you hear on April 1st with a grain of salt. Nice joke by Wanderlei.