Arizona bill to tighten MMA regulation

A bill is making its way through the Arizona Legislature that puts more Regulations on mixed martial arts in the state.

House Bill 2263 prohibits minors from fighting in MMA events and requires female MMA fighter to take pregnancy tests before each bout.

Fighters from both genders would also be required to be tested for HIV and hepatitis before fights.

The Legislation also:
• Standardizes MMA fights as being three rounds of three-minutes each
• Requires contestants in tough guy fights to wear protective headgear
• Prohibits amateur MMA fighters from striking an opponent’s head with their elbows, using twisted leg submission holds and kicking or stomping knee joints.

The proposed rules also include the requirement for physicians to be present at fights, post-fight examinations and standardized fees and licenses.

Read entire article...

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Submission BJJ Belt

Submission BJJ Belt

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

tags: Legislation   Regulation   Arizona

TuLegit site profile image

4/3/13 12:54 PM by TuLegit

I think those are good amateur rules. They're pretty much for fighter longevity.

QTyp site profile image

4/3/13 12:46 PM by QTyp

I'm familiar with grappling rules and the dangers of twisting locks, but it seems silly to me that in ammy MMA you can't do a heel hook but you can throw a flying knee. Just my opinion, but I'm probably biased because I fight like Imanari :)

QTyp site profile image

4/3/13 12:37 PM by QTyp

Existing promotions that are here will adapt, but major televised ones like UFC (WEC and Strikeforce came once) and Bellator won't be having shows here with 3min rounds.

MattyECB site profile image

4/3/13 8:11 AM by MattyECB

It's certainly annoying, but rounds are always the first thing cut down when legislators want to slowly open up to fighting arts. Boxing in Sweden was a good example. Like someone else posted, this is at least agood step forward.

Seats Taken site profile image

4/3/13 2:32 AM by Seats Taken

I'm from the east coast, so I don't really now much about AZ, but aren't a lot of shady fights held on Indian reservations and not sanctioned by AC anyway?

donnie138 site profile image

4/3/13 2:14 AM by donnie138

Is this to prevent people from going around the commission completely like some events do? Because a sanctioned bout already requires a yearly blood exam. Or are they proposing it needs to be done before every contest? Why am I asking these questions to the forum? I'm definitely curious for more details...

cmcgraw site profile image

4/3/13 12:37 AM by cmcgraw

Be better to just rid of shady,sleazy,promoters out here.

Seats Taken site profile image

4/3/13 12:01 AM by Seats Taken

**twisting leg locks. Most BJJ and grappling tournaments only let you use them in advanced NoGi divisions because shit breaks before you know it.

r_o_y site profile image

4/2/13 11:56 PM by r_o_y

3x3 rounds shouldnt keep a promotion from going there. No need to punish arizona fans for one rule. I know some would say 3x3 rds doesn't favor grappling but people say the same about 5 minute fights too.

WOOFticket site profile image

4/2/13 10:40 PM by WOOFticket

I thought it was ammy 3x3.. Damn I didn't catch that it was for pro too..

MMA clothing and gear