Tim Kennedy shoots straight on steroids

by Jack Brown |

Tim Kennedy is a UFC middleweight and a U.S. Army Special Forces operator.  The Strikeforce veteran is scheduled to make his UFC debut against Roger Gracie, at UFC 162, in July.  In Jack Brown audio interview, Kennedy discusses the following and more:

How he balanced his military responsibilities and MMA training:
“If you’re on the range shooting, or if you’re in the gym hitting things, they consider that work.”

How he would characterize his years fighting for Strikeforce:
“In a single word, I’d say ‘disappointing.’  I fought for the title twice and I lost decisions twice.”

What has been his most satisfying performance of his fighting career thus far:
“My hardest fight was Robbie Lawler...There was not an inch of my body that didn’t hurt with this guy... When I lost to Luke Rockhold, I didn’t have a mark on me.  I went for a run that night.  I was so furious that I lost.”

How he feels about Roger Gracie as an opponent, and what other fighters in the UFC intrigue him as future opponents:
• “He’s underestimated as an MMA fighter…He’s a giant for a middleweight.”
•“The floodgates are open…I’m a lion looking at a whole entire herd of gazelles.”
•“As Maverick said to Goose, ‘This is a target rich environment!’”
•“Demian Maia, at 170, I think would be a super fun fight.”
•“I had asked to fight Chris Leben.”

What concerns him most about the current state of the sport of MMA:
•“These guys that are using testosterone and anabolic steroids, not only is it an embarrassment for them and for the sport.  It’s a direct slap in the face to every martial artist on the planet that’s ever been before us or that will come after us.”
•“I’m so glad that Dana has turned the corner and talks about testosterone.”
•“If your body can’t do it right, then don’t do it!”

What it means to be a fighter and how much he enjoys it:
•“I’m a fighter, period.  Cagefighter, yeah.  Combat veteran, yeah.  Sniper, yeah.  Ranger, yeah.  Green Beret.  Those are all just little portions of who I am.”
•“When I’m sitting here late at night…I’m looking at this window next to me wishing there was a zombie tapping on my door.  That would be awesome!  Or my front door just gets kicked in by a bunch of people doing a home invasion/robbery.  I’d be like, yes, this is awesome!”
•“In the military, they call it ‘sheepdogs’ – guys that are always looking for the wolves.  I guess that’s what I’ve always been and that’s what I’m going to be.”

Thank you so much for listening and please follow @TimKennedyMMA and @jackjohnbrown on Twitter.

Visit Facebook for links to all of Jack’s past interviews and blogs.

Thank you to @KirikJenness  for @theUG.

Listen to entire interview...

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Army Sleeve

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Army Sleeve

tags: UFC   Tim Kennedy

Jack Brown site profile image

7/5/13 10:05 PM by Jack Brown

Ttt

brahmabull81 site profile image

4/7/13 5:18 PM by brahmabull81

LOL that fuckin cat GIF is killin me man...

Hammerfister site profile image

4/7/13 5:03 PM by Hammerfister

Another way to listen to the audio

Gunter Vogler site profile image

4/5/13 3:41 PM by Gunter Vogler

Clearly YOU can't read. That was a response to people and their negative reactions to WHY he CONSTANTLY brings it up. I didn't say that's WHY he joined the military. I don't care why.The second part that you're butthurt over is my insight into the man's own words and musings.What kind of fucking person sits around hoping someone starts a war, hoping someone tries to mug him when he's out walking somewhere, hoping someone tries a home invasion when he's sitting there watching his nerdy "hero" shows like Walking Dead and Game Of Thrones?The fact that some people like to wrap their sociopathy in patriotism or sheepdog gobbledy gook doesn't mean shit to me.If you spend most of your life hoping and pining away for bad things to happen just so you can legally react violently to them...there is something fucking wrong with you.

Unwariestpickle site profile image

4/5/13 1:23 PM by Unwariestpickle

You're clearly interjecting your own misguided insight. Just because YOU don't know why someone would join the military doesn't mean you can make up a reason as to why you THINK they joined the military.

ku3mm3t site profile image

4/5/13 9:20 AM by ku3mm3t

I first read it "Tim Kennedy Shoots Straight Steroids"

Hammerfister site profile image

4/5/13 9:19 AM by Hammerfister

Good guess. I heard he is armed to the teeth.

Steven McTowelie site profile image

4/5/13 8:26 AM by Steven McTowelie

I'm confused...is Mir on there because he is the devil and as such you presume he can handle zombies well?

Hammerfister site profile image

4/5/13 8:00 AM by Hammerfister

Has he mentioned having killed anyone? I haven't read all his interviews. Did he, personally, kill someone in combat? Links?

Gunter Vogler site profile image

4/4/13 5:52 PM by Gunter Vogler

The military grandstanding and flag waving is just window dressing imo.Must be really sad to sit around 24/7/365 waiting and hoping for something bad to happen (a war, home invasion, zombie apocalypse, ect.) so you'll have your excuse and rationalization to kill without the threat of going to prison or death row.I feel sorry for people like that. They usually have nothing else to actually live for besides their bloodlust and the euphoria of killing...