Dominck Cruz: 'I'm still the champion'

UFC bantamweight champion Dominick Cruz has not fought in over a year due to multiple knee surgeries, and his return remains a ways off, at best. B/R's Damon Martin caught up with "The Dominator" to discuss his recovery.

Soon, Cruz will sit down in a meeting with UFC president Dana White to determine his next course of action.  Everyone is curious if White will strip Cruz of his bantamweight title because his absence from the sport will likely reach past two years by the time he returns.

Cruz has no doubts that he is the true UFC bantamweight champion, and he has no desire to give up the belt he earned and defended on multiple occasions.

"I believe that's the way it should be which is me fighting the champion when I come back, which I will come back," said Cruz. "It's no question in my mind and anybody that's counting me out is crazy.  Because I've been counted out before, I've been the guy that wasn't supposed to win several times, and I've always figured it out.  It's who I am, it's how I do it, and I'm going to do it right.

"Let's be honest, Dana White is the business owner.  He's the one that runs this entire organization and the second you start thinking you're calling the shots in a business that Dana White and the Fertitta's built, is when you have a rude awakening of you don't control it, they do.  It's their business and I let them make the business decisions.

"In a perfect world, I keep my title and I come back and beat down Barao. In the business world, I don't know how Dana's visualizing this situation. I don't know what he's dealing with."

"I work for the UFC and I love everything that they've done for me, and that's about all I can say.  I'm preparing to come back and fight for my title.  That's all I can do, I can't make the decision.  That's up to Dana. No doubt in my mind that I'm still the champion, I'm still the best in the world, and when I come back I will do just fine against a guy like Renan Barao."

"Everybody loves a comeback, especially a comeback in a situation that is not easy to return to."

Read entire article...

What do you think UG? Is Cruz still the champion? Is he still the champion if it takes over two years between fights?

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

tags: UFC   Dominick Cruz (detail)

Nick Fury site profile image

4/8/13 2:32 AM by Nick Fury

tough call.

Silhouette site profile image

4/8/13 2:15 AM by Silhouette

to everyone saying he deserves the belt hes the champ, Mir was stripped in 14 monthshe hasnt fought in like 18 months and possibly wont fight again til late this year. This is combat sports you have to defend your title. With no definite date for a return you have to strip him. Barao has won 4 fights and has a 5th lined up since Cruz last fought. Give him a title fight as soon as he gets healthy, but he doesnt deserve the title being inactive for this long

Senester site profile image

4/8/13 2:04 AM by Senester

Swap it up and make Barao champ and Cruz interim champ till he's better?.. ;)

Rhys91 site profile image

4/8/13 1:10 AM by Rhys91

Barao will probably win when Cruz fights him but then Cruz will figure it out then beat him in the rematch.

UGCTT_Rychek site profile image

4/8/13 12:43 AM by UGCTT_Rychek

UG Blog this is great and all....but when will you actually report about news most of the UG cares about? Like rape and rapists or even limp dick fuckface rapists? Once Kirik and Jason approve of it or when more women get raped?

mmavixen site profile image

4/8/13 12:37 AM by mmavixen

I completely agree that Cruz is the man.   Great friend, great guy...he deserves to keep his belt!!!!

Poindexter site profile image

4/8/13 12:29 AM by Poindexter

Cruz is the man. To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

MMA Lives Here site profile image

4/8/13 12:26 AM by MMA Lives Here

More than two years? No way, strip himAlso I'd be extremely surprised to see him "beat down" Barao. Standing or on the ground Barao will be his toughest challenge

da Vinci 81 site profile image

4/8/13 12:22 AM by da Vinci 81

Possibly. But I doubt Barao sees it like that.

UGCTT_Song2 site profile image

4/8/13 12:07 AM by UGCTT_Song2

He should be happy He gets paid as a champIf the dominator wasn't injured he would be back down the roster. Imo of course

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear