Gonzaga camp to protest Browne loss

At the TUF 17 Finale, Travis Browne was awarded a win and the Knockout of the Night over Gabriel Gonzaga, via elbows to the head, at 1:11 of Round 1.

At least some of the blows appear to egregiously violate both the no striking to the back of the head rule, and the 12-6 elbow rule.

The referee may have ended the fight when the initial, legal elbows landed, and thus the later ones would not count towards a disqualification.

This is the position held by UFC president Dana White who addressed the matter during the TUF 17 post-fight media scrum.

"Me and Joe Silva looked at a replay of it on the Internet," said White. "he was out with the ones to the side (of the head), and then he hit him with a couple more to the back of the head after he was already out. That's the way that I saw it."

"You know me, if I didn't think the referees did a good job I would tell you. They did a good job tonight, considering the bad situations tonight when people were in bad situations, they did a good job tonight of stopping the fights."

For his part, Browne says there was no ill intent.

"I remember hitting him with one, and the referee was right there," said Browne. "I could kind of see him standing off to the side, and he didn't say anything. I hit him with two more, and by that time he was done.

"I just kind of stopped. I didn't feel him fighting anymore. I try to be respectful in the cage, and if I know somebody can't defend themselves, I'm not going to take advantage of that."

However, Gonzaga's manager Marco Alvan says the decision will be appealed to the governing regulatory body, the Nevada Athletic Commission. Via Facebook.

"Guys Gabriel Gonzaga is ok, thanks for the messages," wrote Alvan.

"I need to review it to count how many illegal elbows but Its a fact that it was illegal. I contacted Keith Kizer head of Nevada Athletic Comission and he told me to file a complaint and he would review it.
I true believe it was illegal. I never complaint about a losses who knows me know that I handle it good but illegal we can not accept."

"We appeal to the Nevada State Athletic Commission because we think were the illegal elbows neck. Whenever we had accepted any defeat, but this was illegal."

"This video is clear about the elbow.

"I very hope the commission look it carefully and make a correct decision about it. We respect Travis and his camp but it was a sad night. We hope this result can be fixed and get a new fight between them."

What do you think UG? Were the blows legal or illegal?

Shock Doctor Ultra LAX Short with BioFlex Cup

Shock Doctor Ultra LAX Short with BioFlex Cup

UFC Fine Gauge Jacquard Beanie

UFC Fine Gauge Jacquard Beanie

SinCityHustler site profile image

4/17/13 1:29 AM by SinCityHustler

I was unclear of your position based on this statement:  "tbe question really comes down to was GG out or not when they happened"   If it comes down to that, I fail to comprehend how you address the illegal shots.  Not understanding what it has to do with when the ref was intending to stop it or what put him to sleep.  Either they are illegal or they are not, regardless of which put him out or what the ref intended to do.  But thanks for the clarification.

DoomFarmer site profile image

4/16/13 5:33 PM by DoomFarmer

All I know is that Sakara beat Patrik Cote and it pisses me off that they DQ'd him but jerk it hard over Brownes KO.Quit holding Alessio down!

Dominique Robinson site profile image

4/16/13 5:21 PM by Dominique Robinson

That SAME FN ref caused me a draw w/Steve Lopez for 1 elbow 2 the side of his head n the same position

LOAN VIPER site profile image

4/16/13 4:22 PM by LOAN VIPER

I could tell by the demeanor and Travis's post fight interview that he knew that he had done wrong he knew those elbows were illegal he will now pay

Thacommish site profile image

4/16/13 4:11 PM by Thacommish

Not sure you read that twitter right, or you are just wording it weird but heres what he had to say on the fight."but the fight had already been decided. The foul did not affect the outcome of the fight. Fighters make mistakes" "Travis just kept hitting the same strike he started with. Not saying he didn't hit Gabe in the back of the head"He then goes on to describe how the elbow was not a 12 to 6 due to the arc of it, he acknowledges there was an illegal shot though.

ranier wolfcastle site profile image

4/16/13 12:54 PM by ranier wolfcastle

there is no more experienced mma ref i'll go with bjms word on this

Diesel67 site profile image

4/16/13 11:06 AM by Diesel67

Sure.  Like Lauzon severed Miller's spinal column.

Standup29 site profile image

4/16/13 10:09 AM by Standup29

Read it again. I answer it in the same post. Did the shots that put him out prompt the ref to want to stop the fight or were the legal ones. Either way the fight isn't over until the ref stops it. And in this case the ref didn't budge until after the illegal shots.

vladiassis site profile image

4/16/13 8:47 AM by vladiassis

u are as really really smart kid,safety first

SinCityHustler site profile image

4/16/13 3:55 AM by SinCityHustler

Why do you feel it matters if Gonzaga is out or not, when deciding if the rules should be enforced against illegal strikes to the back of the head and 12/6 elbows?   I mean soccer kicks are illegal but if the opponennt has just been KO'd cold by a spinning back fist and crumbles to the canvas, are the soccer kicks suddenly no longer enforceable?  Just trying to understand your logic here and interject my own as well.