Zingano: Ref made right call

Cat Zingano battled back in the third round to stop Miesha Tate by TKO after most likely having lost the first two rounds. Zingano rocked Tate with a big knee and followed up with knees and elbows until referee Kim Winslow stopped the fight. In an interview, Tate felt the stoppage was early, but Zingano disagreed:

"It sucks to have a controversial call," she said. "You never like to hear, 'Oh, that shouldn't have ended the fight' or whatever. That sucks. I walked away because I felt she was done. If I didn't think the fight was over I would've needed to be pulled off her. Between the three of us sitting right there and the damage Miesha was taking to her face, when the referee stepped in, that's why it was easy to turn and walk away. Because it was about time. It was within a matter of a couple more strikes before it was going to be beyond return.

I kind of wish it would have gone on a little longer so there's no questions, but I think [referee Winslow] did good job keeping Miesha safe."

TapouT Women\'s Everyday I Fight Shirt (Breast Cancer Awareness)

TapouT Women's Everyday I Fight Shirt (Breast Cancer Awareness)

Jaco Women\'s Patriot Crew Shirt

Jaco Women's Patriot Crew Shirt

georgejonesjr site profile image

4/16/13 1:35 PM by georgejonesjr

Tate was still defending intelligently (if you watch the end from the overhead, you can see her leg shoot back the way you're supposed to for a double - ie she was going for a weak takedown, not collapsing).Having said that, I agree the ref just saved Tate from a worse beating. Tate is as tough as nails, there's no quit in her, but she was physically done.

Purpose site profile image

4/16/13 9:35 AM by Purpose

I hate to read too much into these things but does anyone else sense a slight bit of....well...cockiness in that interview?Not hating on the girl, I'm actually a fan & I'm glad she won. I love how women do this to each other! Women are ruthless man! Don't fuck with them.

stonepony site profile image

4/16/13 2:43 AM by stonepony

It would have been a legitimate stoppage, even if Tate hadn't been dropped by that elbow. Seems people don't understand the rules. You don't have to be stopped, or out, for the fight to be over. If you take a lot of damage without responding, you lose. The fight is ended.It happens to fighters with great chins. The fight is stopped, and they complain. But, you can't just stand there and eat strikes like that. The Ref's primary concern is to protect the fighters.

Ryan Black site profile image

4/16/13 1:59 AM by Ryan Black

I agree with Cat, and I said the same thing after I read some complaints that it was a bad call. I'm not a fan of Kim Winslow by any means- but as a fan of Meisha Tate, I'm glad she stepped in before career-shortening damage was done.

Kings21 site profile image

4/16/13 1:07 AM by Kings21

Don't care for Miesha too much but theres no question shes a tough chick. Definitely can take some punishment. I do think the fight was stopped a little prematurely but I kinda felt like it was the equivalent of a boxer being out on his feet and the ref jumping in to stop it. Most likely she was going to continue taking the same kinda damage and be unable to stop it. You can always point to Kongo/Barry for an argument to let a fight go but its a pretty rare event that something like that will happen. Its great when it does but I think more often than not the fighter will just take unnecessary punishment.

FunDeath4u site profile image

4/16/13 12:55 AM by FunDeath4u

Good stoppage, awesome fight.

Jack Skellington site profile image

4/16/13 12:32 AM by Jack Skellington

correct I love Miesha but she lost fairly squarly

BoonBackwards site profile image

4/15/13 11:57 PM by BoonBackwards

Fights have been stopped for less then that I've seen on more then one occasion fighters getting bored during their fight and when they lay down to nap the ref stops it, go figure.

Master Shredder site profile image

4/15/13 9:44 PM by Master Shredder

Spot on Tate was not defending herself enough at that point and had it go on any longer she could have suffered worse damage that would affect her future.

MMA clothing and gear