Melendez: I'm going to try to kill [Benson]

This weekend in the UFC on FOX 7, Gilbert Melendez will attemp to unify his Strikeforce lightweight title with the UFC's lightweight title and in essence become the undisputed number one lightweight in the world. Although he holds no anomisity towards Benson Henderson, on fight day the champion will be his worst enemy:

"No matter what, there's heat," he said. "I respect Benson. He's the No. 1 guy right now. He's the UFC champ. But come fight day, I'm going to try to kill him. I have bad intentions, and it is personal. I don't need to be mad at someone. I'm a professional, and I know how to turn on the switch and turn it on and off when I need to. Some people turn it on a month out. I turn it on right when it's time.

"It's going to be heated. It's going to be personal. It's just how I fight – I'm going to try to kill the guy. I don't need anyone talking crap on me. But let it be known, on fight day, Benson is not my friend. In fact, he's the enemy that day and I have to destroy him. That's the mentality I have to have."

Metal Mulisha Walking Dead Shirt

Metal Mulisha Walking Dead Shirt

Metal Mulisha Guarded FlexFit Hat

Metal Mulisha Guarded FlexFit Hat

88samurai88 site profile image

4/21/13 8:19 PM by 88samurai88

Hows that crow taste?

LOAN VIPER site profile image

4/18/13 2:08 PM by LOAN VIPER

Benson is one of the most exciting out there People will always find something to bitch about. The guys that he's fought have been one tuff bunch.

Aaron Becker site profile image

4/18/13 1:56 PM by Aaron Becker

doesn't mean he isn't trying and doesn't take risks in doing so

Aaron Becker site profile image

4/18/13 1:53 PM by Aaron Becker

you must really have a shitty life, Bendo doesn't point fight, he tries for the finish, he just can't get it on the guys he's fighting

w9 site profile image

4/18/13 1:06 PM by w9

LOL, Bendo hasn't finished a fight in 3 years.

SHOOTMedia site profile image

4/18/13 12:58 PM by SHOOTMedia

This fight is such a toss-up. Ben is such a phenomenol athlete, while Gil has a ton of experience. Both fighters are technically sound and well rounded in just about every area. I think conditioning and attrition will play a large role in the outcome of this fight. I am really excited for this one!

stonepony site profile image

4/17/13 8:36 PM by stonepony

Not even going to be a close fight. This is just another example, in a long string of examples, of not-UFC fighters being the best until they show up and get their asses handed to them.The smart ones run around hiding in 2nd tier organizations, simply to keep the hype going and keep making money.*COUGHcyborgCOUGH**COUGHovereemCOUGH**COUGHlombardCOUGH*Who else? Let's list all of the world-beaters who were locked out of the UFC because DW didn't want them to come in and beat everybody? All of those fighters who come in, and suddenly everybody gets their face rubbed in reality.Let's just see one person raise their hand. One person who wants to pretend Eddie Alvarez would come in and smash everybody.

JOESONDO site profile image

4/17/13 7:50 PM by JOESONDO

Operative word here is "try". Melendez can try to kill Bendo all he wants, won't stop Bendo from kicking his ass.

Reed Rothchild site profile image

4/17/13 7:47 PM by Reed Rothchild

Bendo by sub

Bigots_Hate_The_Truth site profile image

4/17/13 7:25 PM by Bigots_Hate_The_Truth

Benson by what ever he wants. War BENSON!!!