'The Janitor' ready to sweep Bellator light heavyweight division

At 42 years old, Vladimir Matyushenko has seen it all. From earning three submission victories in one night, to taking down opponents like Antônio “Little Nog” Nogueira, Travis Wiuff, Pedro Rizzo and Jason Lambert. Armed with one of the best wrestling backgrounds in the sport, “The Janitor” has signed with Bellator MMA, and will debut soon live on Spike TV.

“Vladimir is a fighter I’ve watched for years.  He’s an exciting fighter with an incredible wrestling background and a great pedigree in our sport.  When the opportunity presented itself and we had the chance to have him join the Bellator family it was a very easy decision to make,” Bellator Chairman & CEO Bjorn Rebney said. “With our Champion Attila Vegh sitting at the top of the mountain right now, and with guys like Emanuel Newton, Mikhail Zayats and King Mo coming on strong, the light heavyweight division for Bellator continues to evolve and Vladimir should fit in perfectly to that mix.”

“Bellator is one of the biggest promotions in the world, and to be associated with them is an honor,” Matyushenko said. “I am optimistic and excited to work with Bellator. The amount of respect and honor I felt from Bjorn and the entire Bellator team was tremendous, and getting into the Bellator cage and cementing my legacy as a Bellator World Champion is the only thing on my mind.”

Matyushenko will make his promotional debut live on Spike in a non-tournament fight that will be announced shortly.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

RYU Signature Tee LE

RYU Signature Tee LE

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

tags: Vladdy Matyushenko   Bellator

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe site profile image

4/18/13 8:34 PM by HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe

I think you're talking about Will Brooks.

madmaxej9 site profile image

4/18/13 8:24 PM by madmaxej9

HW in the UFC or Bellator? for the UFC HW division he'd be too small. between fights I would estimate that he walks around between 225 and 240 at the very most....don't get me wrong, vladimir is strong as hell, probably the strongest person I ever trained with, but if you put him next to alistair overeem or brock lesnar you'd see the difference in size.For bellator I can't tell, I don't know their HW division well enough.I'm super excited for his run in LHW though. I'm sure he can beat all of these guys, including king mo! Go Vladdy!

caseharts site profile image

4/18/13 5:19 PM by caseharts

Nexuscrawlers site profile image

4/18/13 5:17 PM by Nexuscrawlers

Daaamn. Looks like they are making some serious room.

Nexuscrawlers site profile image

4/18/13 5:14 PM by Nexuscrawlers

This.Very glad to see him in Bellator though!!

per site profile image

4/18/13 5:04 PM by per

Bellator will probably be good for Vladdy. The competition is not quite as ruthless there and he may be able to do really well and have some exciting fights.The thing about him is he is a super solid fighter, but not able to beat the best, kind of a constant top 9-10 guy. Still, he will always deliver a solid, good performance at his level. And I think this is what made him not really fit into the UFC roster, it seems they are now trying to not keep any new exciting prospects out but create opportunities for new fighters instead of keeping good-but-not-champion material guys going back and forth in the pecking order. Matyushenko is the kind of fighter that can mess that up because when a prospect is about to run into the top 10 they just might walk into him and lose because he doesn't mess around, you have a bad night, he beats you. So some hype trains can be derailed because of him but they could never hype him as the next threat to Jon Jones. It sucks for him that he got fired from the biggest employer but for every fighter in the UFC there are thousands outside of the UFC that are crying because they don't get a chance and one of them will now get his chance so it's all good in the end. Hope he does well in Bellator, I like his persona.

Chromium site profile image

4/18/13 4:34 PM by Chromium

EDIT: Nevermind, misread something.

minotauro11 site profile image

4/18/13 4:17 PM by minotauro11

They released Brooks too? The guy has one loss and was one of their best prospects. Wow, strange decision.

Tomato Can site profile image

4/18/13 3:40 PM by Tomato Can

Would be a good addition to their upcoming 4-man LHW tournament:Mo vs. Babalu or M'PumbuZayats vs. Vlady

Chris27 site profile image

4/18/13 2:32 PM by Chris27

It depends on the fighter, they were stupid for coming out and saying shit like they dont want to sign UFC castoffs. Just say if it makes sense and we like the fighter we will sign him no matter what his record is or what org he fought for.