Matt Brown: 'I'll die before I give up'

Ariel Helwani: Matt you entered this fight riding a very impressive four fight winning streak, yet you were the underdog, a pretty big underdog. Did that bother you?

Matt Brown: I didn't know I was the underdog actually. I came out second in the red corner, and usually the favorites come out second?

Ariel Helwani: Maybe.

Matt Brown: Well that's what I thought. I don't look at the betting lines.

Ariel Helwani: There was a lot of hype about Jordan Mein. There was a lot of buzz surronding him. Did he bother you that people were focusing more on him than you?

Matt Brown: No, I think it was well deserved. I think he showed it in ths fight, why he's earned that respect.

Ariel Helwani: He seemed to hurt you in the first round with a body shot. How hurt were you?

Matt Brown: Very hurt. Yeah he hit me just straight in the stomach, right in the solar plexus, and a couple weeks ago in training I took a guy down and landed on his knee right in the solar plexus and it hit the same spot. I'm not going to say it was because of the previous injury, because it was a good shot. For whatever reason, yeah, I was really close.

Ariel Helwani: Close to giving up?

Matt Brown: No I wasn't giving up, I'll die before I give up. But I was close to being incapacitated, not being able to defend myself. He got with a couple shots before, but I gathered myself enough to defend myself.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Roots of Fight Gracie vs Kimura Shirt

Roots of Fight Gracie vs Kimura Shirt

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

FreakDaddy site profile image

4/22/13 10:06 AM by FreakDaddy

2xAA site profile image

4/22/13 10:02 AM by 2xAA

Matt Brown vs CHRIS LTYLE...... I WISH

The Purp site profile image

4/21/13 9:48 PM by The Purp

Matt Brown deserves the next WW title shot after Hendricks.. and SuperCalo has real bad taste.

WoodenPupa site profile image

4/21/13 8:02 PM by WoodenPupa

Real fighters don't even give up when they're dead. Every last atom still attempts the superman punch, side check kick, all that.

Allen Hood site profile image

4/21/13 8:00 PM by Allen Hood

Same here

Allen Hood site profile image

4/21/13 7:59 PM by Allen Hood

Boycott Ariel Helwani

Doctor NPD site profile image

4/21/13 7:56 PM by Doctor NPD

Doesn't that mean he will never give up considering he is the "Immortal"?

superCalo site profile image

4/21/13 7:54 PM by superCalo

If Helwani did indeed suggest or imply that Matt was going to give up and wait for the referee to stop it in the regard you mention that seems very disrespectful to any fighter, suprised that Helwani would stoop to that level, uncalled for as it questions the fighters professionalism and integrity

Krs10KO.com site profile image

4/21/13 7:51 PM by Krs10KO.com

I absolutely love him. At the post fight presser last night he was great. Someone asked something like if he thought he would ever get a title shot. His response was awesome, like wtf? Of course, I wouldn't come to work every day if I didn't think I'd get that. (something to that effect but sounds better when he says it, but it was pretty bad ass) :)

MTH site profile image

4/21/13 7:50 PM by MTH

Of course, you understand that, in this context, tapping is not the same as "giving up."When you tap, you're just acknowledging that you're stuck and are about to either pass out or get a joint broken/dislocated. Either way--even of you didn't tap--the ref would stop the fight as a result and you'd lose. The loss is inevitable. Ariel's question in this interview was about whether Brown was going to "give up" in the sense that he was in a lot of pain, and so was he perhaps considering simply turtling up and waiting for the ref to save him rather than trying to come back from the adversity. That's not in Brown's DNA, so I'm not surprised at his response.

MMA clothing and gear