Media Call: Jones wants to break record, then seek superfights

During the UFC 159: Jones vs Sonnen conference call, Jon Jones laid out his plans to break Tito Ortiz' record for most consecutive UFC title defenses, and the seek superfights. Jones currently has five in a row, and will tie Tito if he beats Chael Sonnen Saturday night.

One more fight to break it, and then he wants to entertain superfight offers, presumably vs. Cain Velasquez, or Anderson Silva.

“One thing I’ve been contemplating is first tying Tito Ortiz, and then establishing that record of the most wins in my next fight, maybe in November,” said Jones. “And after that fight in November, entertaining super fights and heavyweight fights.”

When asked if a fight with Anderson Silva would be first, Jones responded "I said what I said."

For his part, Chael Sonnen vocally advocated for Jon Jones, and for Chael Sonnen.

“Here’s the reality with Anderson - I stomped that guy, deadpanned Sonnen. "And you can pick up his little arm as many times as you want and call him the winner, but the fact is, I whipped his ass for 30 minutes, he got the jump on me for less than 30 seconds. He never knocked me down, I fell down.

They say Anderson’s the best pound-for-pound, he’s not the best round-for-round. I have three 10-8 rounds in my entire career, I’ve fought 49 men. Three rounds of my whole life are 10-8 – that’s the gymanstics equivalent to a perfect 10 – it doesn’t happen in this sport, I doubt anyone on this call even has a 10-8 round. I’ve got three of them – they’re all against Anderson Silva.

"If you think Jon and Anderson are even close, I will run through Jon because I ran through Anderson. Now, I don’t think they’re close, I think Jon is considerably better than Anderson. But sometimes I hear that I don’t deserve this fight or that I’m not the right guy, but then I hear that Anderson could beat him. Well, you’ve got to be kidding me, I stomped Anderson Silva – twice.”

Transcription by MMA Lives Here.

Listen to entire media call:

Punishment Athletics Air Tito Shirt

Punishment Athletics Air Tito Shirt

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

DoomFarmer site profile image

4/22/13 5:18 PM by DoomFarmer

Don't attempt to speak for me.

Phisher site profile image

4/22/13 5:17 PM by Phisher

No, he wants to see Jones lose like the rest of the people who complain about him fighting at 205 even though he doesn't have a problem making weight.

DoomFarmer site profile image

4/22/13 5:17 PM by DoomFarmer

Not when it has trivialized the weightclass to the point of musical chair rematches.It would be different if the fights had even been remotely competitive but they weren't at all.LHW has nothing for him currently.HW is a different landscape.

Phisher site profile image

4/22/13 5:16 PM by Phisher

Mazzagatti reffed that fight, and the sequence of events that you described never happened. Maz tried to verbally comunicate with Hamill when his eyes were filled with blood after the 12-6 elbows, and he waived off the fight when he didn't get a response. The fact that Mazzagatti forgot that Hamill is deaf is almost as ridiculous his deteremination that the 12-6 elbows were the reason that Hamill couldn't continue. Hamill's shoulder was fucked from the throw, and Jones landed about three dozen legal punches and elbows that were unanswered in the mount before the first  12-6 elbow. Mazzagatti was content to let Hamill die in there before the illegal elbows landed. That was fucking terrible officiating. It was probably a good learning experience for Jones though. I assume that these days he'd go for an easy on an opponent that was as helpless as Hamill was in that fight. He also doesn't deal with the all of the hype about when his first loss will come.

Oblivious site profile image

4/22/13 5:07 PM by Oblivious

haven't read the thread so forgive me.best time to have jones v silva for the fans is now. As silva will not be 39 or 40.Best time for zuffa to have silva vs jones is when silva is that much older. No point in killing one of your golden gooses unless he's out the door anyways.Clearly i don't think silva can compete at the level he is on when he is 39 or 40.Silva would take him now imo.

Bigp5437 site profile image

4/22/13 4:50 PM by Bigp5437

It was Mazzagatti reffing that fight, not Herb Dean

KingofBJJ site profile image

4/22/13 4:35 PM by KingofBJJ

But sometimes I hear that I don’t deserve this fight or that I’m not the right guy, but then I hear that Anderson could beat him. Well, you’ve got to be kidding me, I stomped Anderson Silva – twice.”-------------Does this guy just like to hear the sound of his own voice (along with the 12 and 13 year olds who love him)?He stomped Silva, sure when Silva's ribs were bruised and guess what? Silva still won.Gee and what about the second time? You had a full first round to stomp Anderson on the ground and you couldn't land a single clean shot.Oh and guess what? Anderson TKO'd you in the second.That makes you 0-2 against the Champ.I can't wait for Saturday so Jones can feed elbows from now until you retire 3 minutes later when you talk to Ariel in the Post Fight Interview.

John M site profile image

4/22/13 4:33 PM by John M

Andy will beat Wiedman, then fight GSP first. A much easier fight for him, then maybe defend the mw belt once more, than fight Jones and retire.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

4/22/13 4:30 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

So don't think 3 of Titos 6 defenses should count?

sacredhate site profile image

4/22/13 4:30 PM by sacredhate

why, you don't like having a dominant champ at 205?