Mendes wants another title shot this year

Chad Mendes started his professional career a perfect 11-0, including 6 wins in a row under the Zuffa banner to earn a title shot at featherweight champion Jose Aldo. Mendes would fall short of his title dream, losing to Aldo by KO with one second to spare in the first round.

Mendes has since gone on an impressive three fight winning streak, finishing all three opponents and now is right back in the title picture. He of course would like another shot at Aldo:

"I would really like to fight for the title this year," Mendes said after beating Elkins. "Who knows what the hell is going to happen? Right now, I'm going to take a little time off. That was three camps back-to-back-to-back for me. I just want to rest for a couple of weeks, but hopefully this year I'll be fighting for a title."

And if all goes well, Mendes hopes he can take it directly from Aldo.

"I would definitely understand if he's needing to move up, but I want to be the one to take that title from him," Mendes said.

Venum Team Aldo Shirt

Venum Team Aldo Shirt

Venum Joseå© Aldo UFC 163 Corra Fight Shorts

Venum Joseå© Aldo UFC 163 Corra Fight Shorts

Bellator Fan site profile image

4/24/13 2:33 AM by Bellator Fan

Chad shouldn't rush into the rematch IMO, not because he can't win but he can still get a lot better before taking it.

claw11 site profile image

4/24/13 2:03 AM by claw11

Well yeah maybe I shouldn't say guaranteed. Anything can happen, Mendes is a freak tho. He is still so green and undoubtedly one of the best athletes in the UFC. Trust me I know this, he's my cousin. Lol

DanGold site profile image

4/24/13 2:02 AM by DanGold

I agree more deserving, but that doesn't make them better.And Cub Swanson lasted 8 seconds with Aldo, six of which only happened because the ref wasn't ready and was miles away from stopping it. No way he gets a rematch.

MMFT site profile image

4/24/13 1:26 AM by MMFT

You cannot guarantee anything in one on one combat. And I have no idea why you'd think that in he first place. I don't know who would win, but I guarantee you he wouldn't seem as good as he does with the dudes he's been fighting.

claw11 site profile image

4/24/13 1:03 AM by claw11

Mendes beats all of them. Guaranteed.

MMFT site profile image

4/24/13 12:39 AM by MMFT

I think basically anyone in the UFC's top ten list is more deserving. Lamas? KZ? Edgar? Swanson? Siver? Probably more that i can't think of at the moment..

12SixElbow site profile image

4/23/13 3:29 PM by 12SixElbow

Exactly.

Tomato Can site profile image

4/23/13 2:18 PM by Tomato Can

As much as I don't really ever wanna see Guida again, I think Guida/Mendes makes sense.The FW division is tough to call right now. Lots of guys very tightly packed with no clear #1 contender.

epwar site profile image

4/23/13 1:46 PM by epwar

Also, the guys he is beating aren't in the top 10.  He needs to fight some top 10 fighters before another title shot.   Champion : Jose Aldo 1 Chad Mendes    2 Ricardo Lamas    3 Frankie Edgar    4 Chan Sung Jung    5 Cub Swanson    6 Dennis Siver    7 Dustin Poirier    8 Clay Guida    9 Erik Koch    10 Nik Lentz

claw11 site profile image

4/23/13 1:43 PM by claw11

VTFU. In all likelihood he will have to take another fight. But he will most likely finish any FW with maybe the exception of Edgar and TKZ and maybe guida. But he will beat them all. If you don't think he is the best then you're insane.