UFC 159: One weird night

“We’ve done four fights in the last four weeks all over the country, all over the world,” said UFC president Dana White.  “I always say every weekend you put on a fight, it’s not going to be the greatest show you’ve ever done.  These guys came out, they fought hard tonight.  Yeah, it was a weird night.”

It was weird when Alan Belcher's foot wraps were cut off by officials as his name was being announced. The removal of the wraps was resumably at the direction of Michael Bisping (in NJ, use of ankle wraps is at discretion of opponent).

The demonic noises that popped up a couple of times was really weird:

And then there were the injuries.

Yancy Medeiros thumb dislocated.

Jon Jones toe turned upside down in the main event. If a ref had spotted the toe (Joe Rogan noticed it first), the fight could have ended in the first round, with a new light heavyweight champion.

Ovince St. Preux poked Gian Villante's eye, and referee Kevin Mulhall deteremined it was accidental so it went to the score cards, where St. Preux won a majority decision.

"I didn't feel like I poked him," said St. Preux afterwards. "I got poked too."

Michael Bisping's accidental eye poke of Alan Belcher stopped the fight, sending it to the cards and sending Belcher to the hospital. Again, the offending fighter won a decision.

Alan Belcher has twice had surgery to repair a detached retina in his right eye.

Some have called for a redesign of the MMA gloves to prevent eye injuries, but it can't be done. No glove that allows grabbing can be designed so that eye pokes are impossible, and no glove can be used in MMA that prevents grabblng.

At the post fight press conference, UFC president Dana White was asked about a different glove.

"Like what, put finger tips on them?" asked White. "I don't know. Let's say we had gloves with fingers on them, you could still poke people in the eyes with them. In boxing back in the 70's people used to get thumbed in the eye all the time."

The responsibility for eye pokes lies not with the glove design, it lies with the fighter poking the other fighter in the eye.

There may need to be a refinement of the definition under the Unified Rules of what constitutes an eye poke. If you try to strike a fighter, and your fingers drive into his eye, regardless of whether you consciously tried to gouge his eye or not, it may be determined that you gouged the eye, and forfeit the bout. Fighters have responsibilites in the ring, and one of them is to not gouge the other fighter's eye, whether you mean to or not.

The weird night is starting tor resolve.

Jones got his toe back intact.

Belcher got stitches, but apparently suffered no lasting damage.

"I'm ok.. Just got back from e.r. 8 stitches in eyelid," tweeted Belcher. "Disappointed. To my real supporters, I'm sorry, thank you once again."

And while the glove issue may take a while to resolve, at least the satanic voice issue may be solved.

I now realize what the demon voices were last night:
From:  Oboe +527
Member Since: 8/31/11
Posts: 5564

This just came clear into my mind.. There were some losers (chains and piercings all over kind of shit) sitting up in section 8 right above an entrance tunnel. I noticed there was a microhone there and it was been duct taped up. A little while later i saw those morons playing with the microphone on the pole. They were tapping on it and talking into it. Shortly after that, security had came over and moved the group as well as duct taped the microphone back to the railings. Honestly that had to be that.. Especially if the noises stopped 3/4s into main.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Roots of Fight Gracie vs Kimura Shirt

Roots of Fight Gracie vs Kimura Shirt

tags: UFC 159   video

CherryHugger site profile image

4/29/13 7:32 PM by CherryHugger

It was fuckin clown shoes the whole event

YouCantHandleMyRiddum site profile image

4/29/13 7:31 PM by YouCantHandleMyRiddum

A poke to the eye should be an automatic one point deduction. Refs should be allowed to go to video review to confirm the eye poke and deduct a point.If a poke to the eye leads to the end of the match, it should either be a DQ or a NC.Some of the unified rules are absolutely retarded because they are tailor made for boxing and not MMA.

KickYoNuts site profile image

4/29/13 7:08 PM by KickYoNuts

Is Koscheck still poking people in their eyes? Atleast he didn't fight on this card with his thumbs right in the face of his opponents.

6ULDV8 site profile image

4/29/13 6:59 PM by 6ULDV8

OK, what do you propose?   Sticking up for Fallon Fox and Lloyd Irvin?   Yeah, I thought so.

PatrickVilone site profile image

4/29/13 6:10 PM by PatrickVilone

If they stopped the fight due to Jones' broken toe.. there would NOT have been a new champ!!!! NOT!!!! NOT!!! NO NEW CHAMP!!! WTF don't you people get about a NC?!??!Especially since he's the champ... You really honestly think they would have given the belt to Chael for that? LAWL!!! Internet people these days

ssj site profile image

4/29/13 4:18 PM by ssj

relax keyboard warrior

6ULDV8 site profile image

4/29/13 3:27 PM by 6ULDV8

I have never to this day been able to re-watch Bendo/Franklin.   Ace got fucked in the eye that night, hardcore.   That's when I started asking why refs can't demand closed fists during the standup.  If you got digits sticking out and you're going at your opponent's face, it's a point.   Problem solved.   But over the past few years it's turned into a win for the poker.  How in the fuck is that acceptable?   Shit's bananas yo.  Everything with a lot of rules and regulations turns into a Rube Goldberg.

6ULDV8 site profile image

4/29/13 3:17 PM by 6ULDV8

Boxers can thumb each other too.   Put it in the rules and fuck all this 'let's wrap them in condoms' bullshit.   This sport started as real fighting, which is what makes it so awesome, let's not convolute it to shit with equipment.   Otherwise it's two bare chested sweaty men rolling around on each other with tons of precautionary equipment.   My wife already asks me how I cannot think this sport is gay.  Imagine if the fighters came out in just their shorts, but tons of safety equipment just to be safe?   I could not fucking live it down.  Please don't do this to me.   Seeing who the baddest dude on the planet is with rules in force so they don't kill, maim, or blind each other is awesome.   Two men rolling around with no clothes and safety equipment on is no longer fighting.   It's something else entirely and I would have to eat 'See?  I was right!'s for the rest of my life.   That would suck on toast.   So please, warning or point deduction if fingers and not closed fists are flying toward faces.   Otherwise make small joint manipulation perfectly legal.   I'd be cool with that too, TBH.  Stick your finger at my eye and I break it off.  We good?   Oh, but me being blind is still worse than you with a stumpy finger.   Straight up.

bagger site profile image

4/29/13 2:50 PM by bagger

What about something like this? Just extend the pad over the fingers up higher, and the same with the thumb.  If the edge of the pad extends past the thumb/fingers and hits the eye first it should lessen the impact I would think?

6ULDV8 site profile image

4/29/13 2:01 PM by 6ULDV8

Everyone did back then though.  Eye pokes were pretty much unheard of.   More reach with your fingers out though.  Who doesn't want more reach?   If they just make it a rule you cannot have forward motion without a closed fist and deduct points when fighters do it, it would be understood with a quickness.   Eye pokes would be way down.  Way, way down.   I'm a little shocked this isn't already a rule, TBH   When's the last time a full UFC event was eye poke free?

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!