Jackson: Jones move to heavyweight will be 'fun' challenge

When Alexander the Great saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."

UFC light heavyweight champion is rapidly tearing through the challengers, and is growing; a move to heavyweight is inevitable.

He will get there with the help of his coaches at Jackson's MMA, who say will be a fun challenge.

"If he wants to do that, then I’ll help him out," said Greg Jackson on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "I've always said that it’s up to fighters and the management. Then it’s my job to figure out how we’re going to do that. If that's the parameters they want to give, that's what I do. And I actually enjoy that. Anything different is good.

"I've said before, I like to watch scary movies like with monsters, not because I like to get scared at all, but because I like to figure out what are the parameters. If you're fighting a ghost, can the ghost hurt you? Can you hurt the ghost? I really enjoy that, like figuring out what the rules are of the game and then how to win when we have these rules. If they give me parameters or opponents or whatever, that’s the fun part for me. The picking and the choosing of them? Not nearly as fun, and not really my job. I just like to break down the puzzles in front of me."

"As long as we have enough time to prepare, we're going to have to fight them all anyway. We're going to have to fight Machida again, we're going to have to fight Gustafsson, whoever else they put in front of us. It’s just a matter of who’s next. But I never want to be like, 'Avoid this guy' or 'fight this guy.' When you’re the champion, you really have to take on. That's part of what being champion is; whoever they say you have to fight, you have to fight.

"People might not think that makes sense because we said we don't want to take a new fight on short notice. That's a whole different animal. It's not that we were avoiding the opponent, we were avoiding the situation. We wanted to make sure we were well-prepared. This is a world title in a sport that I think is the best in the world by far, and I want to take that seriously."

The if seems to be settled, and the next questions are who and when. When do you think Jones will move up, and who might he fight?

Transcription by MMAFighting.

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

tags: UFC   Greg Jackson   Jon Jones (detail)

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

4/29/13 7:04 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

It's only because he's so dominant.  Chael is a monstrous MW but no one has a problem with it because he loses sometimes.  Travis Wiuff has posted on here that he was 241lbs in the cage for a LHW bout, meaning he put on 36lbs after weigh ins, 15-20 more than Jones.  But of course no one has an issue because he's not a dominant champ. This is just their way to try and justify him beating up their favorite fighters.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

4/29/13 6:57 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

You seem to be picking and choosing articles and quotes.  You mention him saying he woudn't fight Anderson when it was an old interview and neglect to mention that 3 days ago he said the Anderson fight will happen "for sure."    And below is the quote that you brought up.  In fact, Cain was the only name he specifically mentioned. "[A move to heavyweight] definitely wouldn't be permanent," Jones said. "It would just be to prove critics wrong. I would seek an opponent in the Top 10." That leaves options quite open in the heavyweight field for Jones when he eventually makes a move up, but he did name one particular opponent he'd be highly interested in fighting: UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez. http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_16561.shtml

stonepony site profile image

4/29/13 6:56 PM by stonepony

Some people just aren't bright enough to understand the concept of weight classes. Apparently he thinks the divisions should be according to height and reach class.Making DC a welterweight.*derp*

Aleck911 site profile image

4/29/13 6:41 PM by Aleck911

This was an interview with Greg JacksonJones didn't say anythingHe's a LHWAccept it alreadyHas he ever not made weight?

robnashville site profile image

4/29/13 6:31 PM by robnashville

he said he would fight someone in the top 10... not sure if he mentioned cain...but i have a hard time believing that the JBJ that said he wouldn't fight Anderson because they both have legacies and big endorsements to protect is gonna belly up to the bar and fight the belt holder at HW...

Barry_BondsMVP site profile image

4/29/13 6:19 PM by Barry_BondsMVP

I hope it happens.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

4/29/13 6:19 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

Devoid of competition?  Pretty sure in that same interview he mentioned Cain as his preferred opponent.

stonepony site profile image

4/29/13 6:17 PM by stonepony

He's not going to fight Overeem. Overeem will be cut before they could have a chance to meet. If JBJ came in to the HW division tomorrow, they would already be too far separated to warrant the match-up. Jones would fight a credible top contender.

GayGuardMooseSaucy site profile image

4/29/13 6:10 PM by GayGuardMooseSaucy

Jones could go over and kill guys like pat Barry, schaub, etc right now. I'm more interested to see how he fares against guys like Nelson, Good Guy JDS, Cain, DC, Reem

DaddyRich site profile image

4/29/13 6:03 PM by DaddyRich

How long do you think it would be before Jones fought at Heavy? He will probably fight Gustaffson and Machida so he may be busy until the 1st of next year. After that how long will it take him to put on good size and be comfortable with it, 6-9 months? He may not fight heavyweight until late 2014 or even 2015 if that's the case and the landscape could be vastly different than what we're seeing now.