Meltzer: Sonnen vs. Silva targeted for UFC on FOX Sports 1 debut

On Tuesday night's episode of UFC Tonight on Fuel TV, Chael Sonnen called for a bout with Wanderlei Silva as his next bout. Silva was quick to reply and accept his challenge on Twitter and it's likely the promotion wasted no time in putting together a fight that will likely draw well on it's debut on FOX Sports 1 in August. Dave Meltzer reported on his radio show that bout was very likely:

[Re: Chael on UFC Tonight]...The Wanderlei Silva thing was something he was told to do because they are looking at- I know that the idea is Wanderlei Silva and Chael Sonnen as one of the top matches on the August 17 show in Boston. That's what they are looking for.

...As far as a TV main event...Wanderlei Silva and Brian Stann is to me, is like the greatest TV main event in UFC. It drew phenomenal ratings for Fuel...it was almost double the highest rated show in the history of the channel. And what a match. That probably was UFC's best match of this year.

...Wanderlei has got a certain charm and is very over and Chael is a personality

...If you are thinking of a good TV main event, that's it. Thats a good one to have. And again, Chael will cut the promos to build it up and it will be very good. I don't know if the match will be great but its definitely the right mix to build a television main event.

TapouT Chael Sonnen UFC 167 Respect Is Earned Shirt

TapouT Chael Sonnen UFC 167 Respect Is Earned Shirt

Venum Wanderlei Silva \

Venum Wanderlei Silva "Wand Shadow" Fight Shorts

Y2JB site profile image

5/3/13 9:50 AM by Y2JB

Should be a good fight, could go either way. Also they obviously genuinely don't like each other which is always fun.

nyhcloyalty site profile image

5/3/13 9:31 AM by nyhcloyalty

He just fought Brian Stann, who hits harder than a freight train lol I don't think that is true at all. Wand doughty Stann, Leben, and scheduled to fight Vitor.. They are in no way protecting him.

KingofBJJ site profile image

5/3/13 9:12 AM by KingofBJJ

Make it happen White. I would love to see Steroid boy get his jaw jacked some more.

Affliction Blackbelt site profile image

5/2/13 11:35 PM by Affliction Blackbelt

****ing chael sonnen! lmao. still only a few days fresh off defeat and he's already got his next pay check lined up. too funny. he better win this time though, he owes it to the fans.

Mix6APlix site profile image

5/2/13 11:24 PM by Mix6APlix

Not a fan of this match up. I don't want to see Silva get wrestlefucked. Plus something smells like the UFC thinks Silva is getting punchy and don't want to give him a good striker. Nothing I like about this fight.

That Guy Over There site profile image

5/2/13 11:16 PM by That Guy Over There

"Literally none of that is true. Chael doesn't know if he's going to continue to fight or retire. He told me him and Wandy have a legit beef with each other but doesn't know if he's gonna keep fighting and we don't EVER tell fighters what's to say. Anderson has never even been mentioned to fight on the launch of FOX Sports 1" http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/436944/Sonnen-Im-not-retiring-Im-36-years-old-I-have-a-lot-of-goals/ Seems like he's decided now

MRG1 site profile image

5/2/13 10:30 PM by MRG1

Annnd, I will fucking be there.!

MRG1 site profile image

5/2/13 10:27 PM by MRG1

Again, I will say. Gsp vs Hendricks for the main in Boston..

AllAmericanBoxing site profile image

5/2/13 9:56 PM by AllAmericanBoxing

The biggest card ever on free tv you say? Brock vs Kimbo!!! Make that shit happen haha.

boxy site profile image

5/2/13 8:50 PM by boxy

I'd love to see Chael vs. Wanderlei. Hopefully it's a 5-round fight.