Ellenberger: I’d be better at killing mastodons

Jake Ellenberger is 8-2 in the UFC and is coming off an impressive TKO of Nate Marquardt. The welterweight contender meets Rory MacDonald at the next UFC on FOX event, and a win could put the winner as the number one contende,r or at least in a bout for number one contendership. Ellenberger is more than ready to fight MacDonald and considers the two cut from a different cloth

“We’re two different species,” Ellenberger recently told ESPN.com. “He’s a Cro-Magnon; I’m a Neanderthal. We have different bone density, power, pure instinct, savagery.

“He’d be better at cleaning caves; I’d be better at killing mastodons.”

“If [St-Pierre] and Hendricks doesn’t happen next, then I think Hendricks and me are going to decide who’s going to be the next No. 1 contender,” Ellenberger said.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Jaco Training Shorts

Jaco Training Shorts

Tatami Multi Flex NO GI Fight Shorts

Tatami Multi Flex NO GI Fight Shorts

bknumber1 site profile image

5/3/13 9:49 PM by bknumber1

I hate this fight because one guy has to lose and I want to see both in title fights. I think Jake has earned the next shot so I hope he wins and gets it. We will see a guy really go after GSP then! (I think GSP beats Hendricks) I fully believe Rory is a future long time WW champion. Has all the tools to include a little edginess. Only time will tell if he will be able to rise to the occasion though.

KZTT_W85 site profile image

5/3/13 9:44 PM by KZTT_W85

I honestly think jake matches Rory standing but has a definitive edge in the wrestling department.Rory a bright talent, I don't think the betting lines accurately represent how close this fight is though.

GSPushedInMyStinkEye site profile image

5/3/13 9:40 PM by GSPushedInMyStinkEye

I think that Big Rig has a legit chance of beating GSP. I also think that Rory is going to beat anyone they put in front of him. If Big Rig dethrones GSP, then great. The first title defense will probably be the winner of Baconburger and Rory. But if GSP and Rory both win...then what? I just hope that the almighty WW division doesn't get put on some kind of standstill because the champ and the #1 contender want to butt-sniff instead of fight. If it comes down to this scenario, I just hope GSP takes the plunge and goes up to MW. Big Rig has a chance to reset the whole division, and I hope he does it!

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

5/3/13 9:34 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

"he is popular and is a draw" Ha... which is why he got the shot and that had been my point all along.  Of course he should have taken the opportunity, my issue was with most Diaz fans claiming he was deserving of it. I agree that Rory wins but I think he finishes him but will not fight GSP.  If GSP doesn't retire, which I dont think he will right now, one will prob give 185 a whirl.

GSPushedInMyStinkEye site profile image

5/3/13 9:31 PM by GSPushedInMyStinkEye

Well, that's between him and GSP. But what happens if they both keep winning? They either have to fight or one of them has to change divisions. Or there's always the option of GSP retiring. What's it gonna be?

Herring In A Fur Coat site profile image

5/3/13 9:14 PM by Herring In A Fur Coat

He could easily be a MW but so could any other WW.  He certainly won't be a big MW, unless you think he's the same size as Sonnen, Franklin, Belfort, Henderson, Wand, etc. And he will not get a title shot for as long as GSP is champion, because he doesn't want to fight GSP.

GSPushedInMyStinkEye site profile image

5/3/13 9:01 PM by GSPushedInMyStinkEye

Fuck that...Rory could easily be a MW. Not saying he won't deserve it, but he WILL get a shot if he beats Ellenburger. He won't have to take the long way like Johnny Hendricks.  Nick got the shot because despite what you preach, he is popular and is a draw. It's not his fault...what was he gonna do, turn it down? And yes, it should be a great fight. I'm a fan of both, but I think that Rory takes it via UD.

Deuce77 site profile image

5/3/13 8:58 PM by Deuce77

This is how you talk shit.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

5/3/13 8:52 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

Also sickeye... they have not had almost identical opponents.  50% of Nicks opponents over his career are now LW's or FW's.  He's made a career of fighting smaller guys.  Rory has not.  Last, Rory is not being given a title shot for his mediocre/good wins.  He's earning it against top guys. That said, this should be a great fight.  Both guys are monsters but have faded in the later rounds so it could get interesting if it hits the 4th and 5th.

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

5/3/13 8:49 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

I don't think you know what hype means.  Losing to the UFC's #3 and #4 ranked fighters does not mean hype is unwarranted.