Cormier: Only JDS could beat Cain

B/R's Damon Martin interviewed Daniel Cormier, and discussed the state of the heavyweight division.

Although Cormier is adamant that he will not fight current UFC heavyweight champion and AKA teammate Cain Velasquez, he intends to stay at heavy for the moment.

"I always thought if I were to go down, I would need a lot of time to do it," said Cormier. "I think that still applies, but I would like to still fight. At the end of the day I can't cut massive amounts of weight.  That's well-documented from my problems in the Olympic games.  But I can diet, and when I'm dieting I can still fight.  Can I fight at 205? No.  Because it's too much weight to cut in a short period of time.  But could I fight a heavyweight fight and just be a little lighter? I think so."

Cormier was also adamant that Velasque is firmly at the top of the food chain.

"They're not beating Cain," Cormier said of the heavyweight contenders. "They're not good enough. I'm telling you right now I think they're great, I think Junior Dos Santos is great.  I think Junior Dos Santos has the best chance of beating Cain, but the rest, they're not beating him.  They're not good enough.  It's about as honest as I can be with you—they're not good enough to beat him."

Read entire article...

MusclePharm Battle Fuel XT (160 capsules)

MusclePharm Battle Fuel XT (160 capsules)

Jaco Resurgence Fight Shorts

Jaco Resurgence Fight Shorts

pulsar site profile image

5/6/13 11:31 PM by pulsar

Indeed. He's like an even more dominant version of Fedor.

Jaybrone site profile image

5/6/13 2:15 PM by Jaybrone

Cain is a great fighter no doubt but anything can happen in MMA. And is anyone shocked he would say this? The guy is his training partner...

chaplinshouse site profile image

5/6/13 12:34 PM by chaplinshouse

he's only admitting JDS since JDS has done it before.  but at HW everyone has KO power and his boxing is only great because it's judged at an mma level.  at ufc HW anyone can get KTFO on any given night.  some opponents just require more luck than others

chokeyou site profile image

5/5/13 12:32 PM by chokeyou

Based on how scared Cormier has become since fighting Barnett i'm glad he didn't add himself to that. The guys entire career is based on a close win against a guy who fought him with three limbs.

MMA Lives Here site profile image

5/5/13 6:00 AM by MMA Lives Here

Cain is not invincible. He's awesome but not gonna be the champ for years or anything. He'll get caught in his next few fights. That's my opinion

WelshWarrior site profile image

5/5/13 4:43 AM by WelshWarrior

Werdum is the one to beat cain imo..and when that fight does happen.. I will bet heavily!

2xAA site profile image

5/4/13 11:18 PM by 2xAA

DC is willing to risk his health because he won't fight a friendbetter start on that dolce diet now.....he's not young anymore

wink91wink site profile image

5/4/13 11:02 PM by wink91wink

Did DC forget about Cole Conrad?

raags site profile image

5/4/13 10:51 PM by raags

Werdum has advanced leaps and bounds with his striking and his clinch game. He will have no fear of the takedown and has some size on Cain - he could really open up with his striking vs. Cain like other opponents have not been able to, and probably utilize a good kicking game. He has decent cardio and is pretty durable - and off course, deadly off his back. I would still pick Cain over Werdum due to pace and pressure, but Werdum definitely poses some interesting problems for Cain.

Gay for Gil's el nino site profile image

5/4/13 10:48 PM by Gay for Gil's el nino

+1   I personally think Cain's striking is very overrated and Werdum's is underrated.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!