Rich Franklin interested in Bisping fight before retirement

Rich Franklin will likely never make another run at UFC gold, but that doesn't mean he is quite ready to retire. Franklin is still a marquee star within the UFC ranks and a couple more high profile fights may still be in his future. In particular, one matchup that intrigues him is with Michael Bisping as he recently told MMAWeekly:

“I look at my Twitter and a lot of people talk about (Michael) Bisping,” said Franklin. “That would be an exciting fight and something the fans would want to see. I’m an exciting fighter, he’s an exciting fighter, and we both like to throw down.”

Both Bisping and Franklin have alternated between wins and losses in their last few fights, so it is a match-up could make sense. Regardless of whether Franklin’s wish is granted, he knows his Octagon days are numbered.

“I wake up with bumps and bruises and aches and pains, but I feel pretty good at this age, and I know that if I train for another five years, it’s really going to tear into me,” said the 38-year-old former schoolteacher. “I can feel a difference now preparing for a fight as opposed to even three, four or five years ago. There’s a big difference.”

Venum Sharp Corra Fight Shorts

Venum Sharp Corra Fight Shorts

Venum Light 2.0 Fight Shorts

Venum Light 2.0 Fight Shorts

dahosse site profile image

5/7/13 12:26 AM by dahosse

Fun fight. I'm into it.

ausgepicht site profile image

5/6/13 11:31 PM by ausgepicht

What do you mean? Franklin isn't top ten. It makes PERFECT sense. You have a cash cow that is 1-4 against top ten opponents and two of those times were legendary all time great KOs which lead to some of the greatest romoshops ever. Why in the world would you give him a top ten opponent? Let him beat Franklin who isn't tankes so Bisping can go from #4 to #1 because the rankins are so authentic.

donkey guard site profile image

5/6/13 10:23 PM by donkey guard

Rich, if even 50% of his former self could catch him for a KO But bisping probably wins a dec

orcus site profile image

5/6/13 9:03 PM by orcus

Should be an easy fight for Rich.

shootfightermike site profile image

5/6/13 9:02 PM by shootfightermike

ttt

BshMstr site profile image

5/6/13 7:10 PM by BshMstr

at first i thought this was a crappy idea....but really, Bisping prolly isn't gonna get a title shot anytime soon, and has not fared well against top competition. i think he could make a lot of money with this fight, and has a good chance at wearing down Rich...Franklin obviously has a chance to KO the Count as well, and it would prolly be a good fight to watch, and be a great payout for both of these guys.

raags site profile image

5/6/13 7:35 AM by raags

...and he isn't going to tire. I think would be a great fight to watch!

shawarma site profile image

5/6/13 6:33 AM by shawarma

Franklin is a horrendous matchup for Bisping.He is a better technical striker, with KO power and wouldn't be in any danger on the ground or standing.

malryan site profile image

5/6/13 6:30 AM by malryan

I think there's a lot of value in this fight for bisping, franklin is the former 185 champ and has notable wins at 205, hes still a very solid fighter and a win over him means something. It would either be franklin by KO or bisping by UD, I would lean towards the latter.

Jons Forsberg site profile image

5/6/13 6:18 AM by Jons Forsberg

Vitor is the lineal franklinweight champion.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!