Peralta cites death of grandma, apologizes for positive drug test

Earlier last week it was revealed that Robbie Peralta had tested positive for marijuana metabolites after a loss to Akira Corassani via unanimous decision at UFC on Fuel 9. Pertalta was subsequently suspended for six months by the UFC and will underog a rehabilitation as required by the UFC.

Peralta today released a statement, apologizing to his fans:

“I just want to apologize to all my friends, family, fans and to the UFC for what I did,” Peralta told Sherdog.com on Thursday. “I’m going to have to suffer the consequences, but the main thing is that I apologize to all the people I let down -- my coaches, my team.”

“I’ve been going through some emotional things these past six months,” said Peralta. “When my grandma passed away in March, that’s when I made the dumb choice of smoking. We had the funeral and had a few drinks and started making bad choices. I regretted it the next day, but I’m not here to make excuses for myself. I did what I did.”

“It’s good in a way so that I never make that mistake again. It’s not worth it. It’s not worth [jeopardizing] my career,” said Peralta. “I have a lot of things going for me right now, and I just have to realize that. All of this is new for me, being in the public eye, this whole thing. I’m trying to get adjusted to it little by little and just keep moving on. I just have to make sure this doesn’t happen again and that I’m stronger mentally.”

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Jaco Sugafly Athletics Team Hoodie

Jaco Sugafly Athletics Team Hoodie

Roots of Fight Gracie vs Kimura Shirt

Roots of Fight Gracie vs Kimura Shirt

tags: Robbie Peralta

UGPTT_Rear Naked Chode site profile image

5/7/13 8:55 PM by UGPTT_Rear Naked Chode

This. Dude doesn't know shit about marijuana but acts like he does.

bekk46 site profile image

5/7/13 8:46 PM by bekk46

Big Roy fan is a stupid ass troll, and a shitty one at that. Why any of you guys entertain his bs is beyond me

jacktripper site profile image

5/7/13 8:30 PM by jacktripper

Tough seeing a San diegan lose to a European fruitcake

WilliamCole site profile image

5/7/13 8:17 PM by WilliamCole

Well, we know alcohol is is harmful to the body yet it is legal. So why shouldn't pot be treated the same way regardless of how it effects your health? Shouldn't it be a personal choice like if one chooses to drink or not? Why should someone lose their ability to make money or be put in jail because of something they do on their own time that doesn't hurt anyone and in the case of a fighter/athlete doesn't give them a competitive edge in their fight/event.Why do you think they would show up to fight high? are there a lot of fighters fighting drunk? also, Where is it confirmed that Herman was stoned during his fight with Big Nog?IDK maybe I'm a 'biased glazed-over pothead'

HexRei site profile image

5/6/13 3:16 PM by HexRei

The feds have nothing to do with the UFC's mandatory rehab. That's about their bottomline and nothing else- if good fighters get suspended by AC's it makes it harder for them as an organization, that's it. If the AC's develop more sensible tests it won't be a problem at all, because despite your fearmongering, no, we won't be seeing UFC-level fighters stumbling around stoned in the cage. Just won't happen.

Billittome site profile image

5/6/13 3:08 PM by Billittome

Does anyone think that BLAF may have abused drugs in the past?I was watching reruns of the Penn/Pulver TUF and someone sounded like their nose was all clogged up. I'm just sayin'.

Megatherium site profile image

5/6/13 3:01 PM by Megatherium

Possession in still illegal in many states, but having marijuana metabolites in your system is definitely not.

big_roy_fan site profile image

5/6/13 2:07 PM by big_roy_fan

it is still illegal and what is the UFC gonna go against the fuckin feds?beer is legali'm not arguing about how fucking harmful pot is, since i know all the biased glazed-over eyed potheads will claim its '100% healthy natural stuff dawg'i'm arguing that it is illegal and they are going to test and give fighters shit for testing positive for it because it is illegal, i don't care how harmless or harmful it is.i personally think that IF fighters were no longer penalized some of them would show up for their bouts high, and we don't need another fucking dave herman (vs big nog) incident

Megatherium site profile image

5/6/13 2:03 PM by Megatherium

I know, what a ridiculous culture they've created in mma. Testosterone is fine but weed is a banned substance.And rehab for weed? WTF?

HexRei site profile image

5/6/13 1:56 PM by HexRei

it shouldn't be illegal, socially, or in the sport. he should be free to smoke if he wants, it doesn't help his game any. no one would think twice if a fighter admitted they drank some beer cause of their dead grandma.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!