Cormier plans to stay at heavyweight for now

At 5'10", Daniel Cormier is short for a UFC heavyweight, but that hasn't stopped him being a perfect 12-0 in his mixed martial arts career and recently defeating former champion Frank Mir. There has been a lot of talk on whether not Cormier should work his way to the lightheavyweight division, but the thing you can't argue against is winning.

The bigger reason that Cormier may start working his way lower in weight is to avoid a clash with team mate Cain Velasquez who is the current UFC heavyweight champion. As he's not quite at a title shot, it looks as though Cormier will stay in the heavyweight division for now:

While a move to 205 pounds still seems likely for Cormier's future, it appears that he will be sticking around at heavyweight for at least another fight or two.

"I always thought if I were to go down, I would need a lot of time to do it.  I think that still applies, but I would like to still fight," Cormier told Bleacher Report.   "At the end of the day I can't cut massive amounts of weight.  That's well-documented from my problems in the Olympic games.  But I can diet, and when I'm dieting I can still fight.  Can I fight at 205? No.  Because it's too much weight to cut in a short period of time.  But could I fight a heavyweight fight and just be a little lighter? I think so."

The plan for Cormier right now is to book his next fight at heavyweight while he's making the transition down to the smaller weight class.  The key, according to the former Olympian, is to cut the weight slowly but surely without sacrificing too much time inside the cage.

"Yeah because it keeps me busy, I'm still getting to fight and still gaining experience," Cormier said about staying at heavyweight for now.  "At the end of the day, I'm still very early in my career."

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

RYU Signature Tee LE

RYU Signature Tee LE

HereticMMA site profile image

5/6/13 8:32 PM by HereticMMA

It seems like a lot of people posting in this thread only read the title and not the article.Cormier has not said he is staying at Heavyweight, what he did say was that in order to make 205, he would have to diet over a long period of time. During that time, he said he would like to take some heavyweight fights as he diets down to 205.

SQUEEZIE site profile image

5/6/13 6:07 PM by SQUEEZIE

exactly and no matter what they say i wont believe it tel i see it. they can not make 205...or they would.off topic- no way andy can still make 170...his sheep are fooling them selves.(actually andy is fooling them)

RampageFitsLikeAGlove site profile image

5/5/13 11:17 PM by RampageFitsLikeAGlove

Ha...this.

ChaosOverkill site profile image

5/5/13 9:53 PM by ChaosOverkill

because the time it would take to actually do it is weighed against the loss of wages for that time.  I see both guys deciding against it until they have to

Winston Wolf site profile image

5/5/13 9:50 PM by Winston Wolf

he knows the weight cut gunna suck and be tough

diaz 125 site profile image

5/5/13 9:45 PM by diaz 125

absolutely no reason to go down.

UGCTT_FryedTakayama site profile image

5/5/13 9:24 PM by UGCTT_FryedTakayama

So I guess Cormier will kill off a couple contenders at HW and then move down?

Gay for Gil's el nino site profile image

5/5/13 9:20 PM by Gay for Gil's el nino

so much derp 15 posts in

big_roy_fan site profile image

5/5/13 9:19 PM by big_roy_fan

lol no but at HW he has fought mostly grapplers (apart from the highly talented dion staring) who are slow with their strikes..his grappling skill is great without question, but he has won the majority of his fights by outpacing his slower opponents. Jones would stuff his takedown and light him up on the feet and his speed advantage wouldn't be as great as it is at HW.but ofc if you're trying to argue that frank mir antonio silva monson and barnett are all as fast as jon jones i'd like to hear what you have to say

Kick Boxe site profile image

5/5/13 9:17 PM by Kick Boxe

he'll go down after roy knocks him out

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!