Cerrone hires sports psychologist after near-death experience

Mixed martial arts is one of the most physical demanding sports for an athlete. It requires being skilled in all aspects of the sport: wrestling, jiu-jitsu, boxing, muay-thai, and requires cardiovascular and musclar conditioning while utilizing each skill. It also requires a certain toughness and although not discussed, a mental toughness and readiness to compete against the pressure of winning. Donald Cerrone

"It's like, I don't know if it's the camera or the pressure, but I've got to figure that out," Cerrone admits. "Whatever makes me fight hard to get there, and then I seem to, like, fold under pressure. I don't know. I'm tryin' to [figure it out]. I got a new sports psychologist tryin' to work those kinks out."

It sounds cliché, but Cerrone feels like a new man now. With the help of his sports psychologist, Cerrone came to realize that he needed to fight his own fight, "for once." Go out and dominate the cage, show everyone why he's a striker to be feared. Believe in his jiu-jitsu, stop falling into opponent's gameplans, and most of all, stop burying deep into his own head.

Cerrone quit eating candy, too. At first glance, that may not seem like such a big deal. But when you realize he basically lived on the stuff for years -- "I'd rather trade real food for candy, as s--ty as that sounds," Cerrone chuckles -- it starts adding up to ‘big deal' range. The new diet, which consists of actual, healthy food, has already worked wonders.

read entire article..

'Cowboy' Donald Cerrone has always been an extreme athlete, whether fighting in the cage, riding ATVs, wake boarding, or rock climbing. It was a recent event when rock climbing that led Cerrone thinking more about his career and the decision to bring in the sports psychologist to help him:

"I was showing them how to set gear," Cerrone recollects. "I should've set way more gear, but it was just such an easy climb. I wasn't concerned. Just being overconfident, man..." His words trail off.

Cerrone plummeted backwards 40 feet to the ground that day. The climbing gear was supposed to catch him if he fell, though I guess "supposed to" is the key phrase in that sentence. In demonstrating that fact to Winklejohn, Cerrone ripped out "like four anchors," and thus began his descent back to earth.

Each anchor caught Cerrone a little bit, but not really.

"I fractured my hip and my foot, but, I mean..." Cerrone says, the words again trailing off as if to say, ‘it could've been much worse.'

MusclePharm Confidence Shirt

MusclePharm Confidence Shirt

MusclePharm Sportsline Shirt

MusclePharm Sportsline Shirt

Kentpaul site profile image

5/10/13 7:11 PM by Kentpaul

He seemed fine before Diaz and Pettis beat him

Mix6APlix site profile image

5/10/13 7:06 PM by Mix6APlix

And I bought my buddy a 1/4 of weed. I fell because I put my weight on a root that looked solid, it wasn't. Had my buddy not grabbed my flannel for a split second I would have gone head first.

Mix6APlix site profile image

5/10/13 7:05 PM by Mix6APlix

I didn't break anything, but had two sprained ankles/feet. When I landed the ground was on about a 45degree angle so the balls of my feet got pushed towards my shins pretty hard. I walked out on my own, but after the hour or so drive back home, I couldn't walk and crawled to my door. Also had to cut my boots off because my feet and ankles were swollen. Spent about 5 days pushing myself around on a computer chair popping anti inflammatories like candy.

88samurai88 site profile image

5/10/13 3:09 PM by 88samurai88

This is what i want to know? When did this happen and why did i never hear about it till now?

ANT_P1989 site profile image

5/10/13 1:56 PM by ANT_P1989

I like Donald's attitude, it's a lot better than "dropping to the next lowest division and figuring that'll be the key". Rootin for Cowboy.

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

5/10/13 1:30 PM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

If he gets that fixed he can beat anyone. He basically gave Diaz that fight because of what he's talking about

RyannVonDoom site profile image

5/10/13 1:22 PM by RyannVonDoom

Smart of him. Most dont understand just how much this can help.

iwrestledabearonce site profile image

5/10/13 1:22 PM by iwrestledabearonce

This. I hope he puts a beating on him

meco24 site profile image

5/10/13 1:15 PM by meco24

I've been a fan of cowboy for a while. This is nothing new. I've heard him talk of sport psychologists in interviews a while back. I knew Nate got in his head. Watching the fight I was thinking about that the whole time.

GriffinQ site profile image

5/10/13 1:08 PM by GriffinQ

Wait... Wasn't this fall in the past 9 6months or so? Did he fight with a fractured foot and hip....?

MMA clothing and gear