'Bitter' Volkmann plans to 'expose' the UFC

Jacob Volkman recently caught up with AboveAndBeyondMMA.com and declared he is bitter about the UFC, and plans to expose them to the fans.

Ed Kapp: How did your introduction to MMA evolve into what it is today?

Jakob Volkmann: Well, I didn’t realize there was that much politics in martial arts, especially in the UFC. That was kind of frustrating. It’s not who is the best; it’s more of a political kind of BS.

EK: What do you mean by that?

JV: You’ve got to know the right person, have the right manager in there. And your style determines if you stay in, too. The guys that stand and bang are the ones who are still fighting for the UFC. The ones that take the fights to the ground and focus more on the technique on the ground, they’re not in there because apparently the fans don’t like that. That really bothers me because the UFC made the interest of the sport more of a stand-up fight because that’s what they put on the main card and that’s what the fans saw. They started liking that more than the ground game. That’s what really bothers me.

EK: Why were you released?

JV: I was released after a loss against Bobby Green, which I should’ve never lost. It was kind of a fluke loss, going into the fight sick. I lost and then after that, they cut me. I was 6-2 at lightweight and they still cut me. That was back in February.

EK: Were you expecting to be released?

JV: No, no. I said in a few interviews that I did expect it, but I was just playing with the media. I had no idea.

EK: Are you at all bitter about how things worked out with the UFC?

JV: Very bitter. They always claim that they treat the fighters so well. Yeah, they treat the top five per cent of the fighters well — the ones that are on the main card all the time. They don’t treat the rest of them very well. The healthcare plan is horrible, with a $1,500 deductible per injury — the catastrophic-injury insurance is not even really good insurance. There’s no retirement fund, there’s no signing bonus. You start off at six-and-six, you’re really not making too much money because you’re self-employed, so you’re paying the self-employment tax and you’re paying the regular tax and income tax. So you’re paying twice as much in tax. They claim they’re treating the fighters well, but they’re not, realistically.

EK: Do you feel that’s a misconception among fans?

JV: Of course … People always tell me, “You’re rich — you’re on TV!” Are you kidding me? I made $54,000 two years ago, paid $9,000 in taxes, so that leaves me with $45,000. This last year, I made $50,000 and paid $8,000 in taxes. That leaves me with $42,000 — that’s barely above poverty. I have three kids and a wife I’m supporting.

EK: At the end of the day, what are you hoping to accomplish with the World Series of Fighting?

JV: I’m trying to make the fans realize what the UFC is really like — I’m going to expose them as much as I can. But also my goal is to win in World Series and try to stay undefeated. Obviously it’s to win. The short-term goal is to win. The long-term goal is, as soon as they come out with that belt, I’d like to get that belt.

Read entire article...

Volkmann fights Lyle Beerbohm at WSoF III in June.

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

tags: UFC   Jakob Volkmann

CindyO site profile image

6/7/13 2:15 PM by CindyO

LMFAO!!! Nope! Happily married:) *hug*   Cindy

urbandenim site profile image

6/7/13 7:45 AM by urbandenim

Annoying as ever... do you ever just shut up. Let me guess, you're divorced...

CindyO site profile image

6/7/13 6:56 AM by CindyO

I agree with Aces:)   Cindy

IIAces site profile image

6/5/13 12:02 PM by IIAces

Look at the ratios I posted. UFC is more even in the terms of pay than all major sports. Rookie pay to star pay ratio is best in UFC. UFC spreads their payroll fair.

CindyO site profile image

6/3/13 1:08 AM by CindyO

Oh how cute! The paid poster comment! Good boy!   Cindy

CindyO site profile image

6/3/13 1:02 AM by CindyO

I'm not going to try to dig it up but he's absolutely right about the UFC claiming they are the superbowl of mixed martial arts, and they are. If you show up to the Superbowl and aren't playing worth a shit they'll sit you down and put someone else in. But since MMA isn't a team sport like football, the equivalant to being benched is cut, which sometimes happens because people don't like to pay for shitty fights. They couldn't be the superbowl of MMA if they didn't test-drive and cut talent accordingly. They'd be a bunch of nice guys with a huge roster and a product no one wants to pay to see which would lead to them being out of business like everyone else.   Cindy

dubate site profile image

6/2/13 7:11 PM by dubate

I questioned it because I heard the NFL comparison used before but I never heard themselves say that they were the Super Bowl of mixed martial arts. Since I had never heard it and he said they readily announce themselves as such I wanted know where I missed it. It was hiding behind skinny Dana White with hair.

Macedawgg site profile image

6/2/13 6:35 PM by Macedawgg

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2008/0505/080_2.html "We are like football and the NFL. The sport of mixed martial arts is known by one name: UFC." --Lorenzo Fertitta http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2010/06/dana-white-stands-by-pay-for-rankings-claim-says-ufc-is-the-nfl-of-mixed-martial-arts "There is no competition. We're the NFL. You don't see people looking at the NFL and going, 'Yeah, but he's not the best player in the world because there's a guy playing for the Canadian Football League or the Arena League over here.' We're the NFL. There is no other guy." "There were times when we were in dogfights, but everybody needs to just concede and realize we’re the [expletive] NFL. Period. End of story." "Basically, we want to make this the Superbowl of Mixed Martial Arts."  --Dana White http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1653232&forum=1&page=1&pc=31 "There never has been a comparable outlet—there never has been. . .we’ve dominated this sport."  Lorenzo Fertitta, ESPN Outside the Lines Video There were also repeated references to Fedor telling him to get into the "Superbowl" of MMA.  Many of these videos have been deleted with copyright claims.    This was without even trying. . . and I am amazed it was even questioned.  It was part of the marketing strategy for a lengthy period of time.

SamboMMA site profile image

6/2/13 4:43 PM by SamboMMA

Oh Look its Cunty O to add absolutely nothing of value to the thread and defend her bosses.

The Lurker Below site profile image

6/2/13 4:20 PM by The Lurker Below

The problem seems to be that everyone aspires to reach the UFC, as it is clearly the best choice in terms of popularity $$ etc.Then reality sinks in and some are barely breaking even on fights while Zuffa pushes for more international opportunities and continues to grow.