Werdum submits Nogueira in second round of Fuel TV 10 main event

If there was any doubt as to where Werdum wanted the fight, it was eliminated when he nabbed the first takedown moments into the opening round of the scheduled five-rounder. At first Nogueira managed to hold his own on the mat with the former jiu-jitsu world champion, but by the second frame Werdum seemed to be one step ahead in the grappling exchanges. After taking Nogueira's back after escaping a failed guillotine-choke attempt, Werdum locked up the armbar and forced a verbal tap from Nogueira.

"He is, in fact, an idol for all Brazilians," Werdum said of Nogueira via a translator after the bout. "It's my second fight with him, and it was a tough fight. ... I was able to get onto his back and get the armbar, and then I was able to make him submit. That made me very happy."

Werdum suffered a decision loss to Nogueira at a 2006 PRIDE event but got his revenge in the rematch.

Fabricio Werdum Vs. Antonio "Minotauro" Nogueira
Fight was scheduled for 3 rounds (5x5x5)
Name Fabricio Werdum <a href=Fabricio Werdum" />
Height 6′ 4″ (193.04 cm)
Weight 242 (109.77 kg)
Record 16-5-1
Team
VS
Name Antonio Nogueira <a href=Antonio Nogueira" />
Height 6′ 3″ (190.5 cm)
Weight 246 (111.58 kg)
Record 34-7-1
Team Black House

-Fabricio Werdum defeated Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira by Submission (Armbar, Round 2, 2:41)

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

no-gi_JAMES420 site profile image

6/10/13 2:26 PM by no-gi_JAMES420

Seven years, many injuries and several BRUTAL fights will slow anyone down.

knuckleballs site profile image

6/10/13 1:51 PM by knuckleballs

How did Nog go from being a black belt in their first fight to a blue belt in their second? I mean, he looked really bad compared to his old self.

Naderhood site profile image

6/10/13 1:37 PM by Naderhood

Mir has looked like shit lately. Werdum put on a clinic against Roy Nelson and now submitted Nog. I think Werdum beats Mir, easily. Better striking and grappling, although, MMA grappling is way different than gi/nogi grappling, I think Mir's MMA grappling is highly underrated.

KingofBJJ site profile image

6/10/13 1:06 PM by KingofBJJ

I agree to a certain extent, but Nelso seems to carry his weigh rather well.  IIRC doesn't Mir also?  It's hard to judge Cain's cardio, since all his fights never went to a decision.

JustAnotherMMAFan site profile image

6/10/13 8:46 AM by JustAnotherMMAFan

Nog always was a great BJJ-er, the best in Heavyweight Division... Yet, Werdum pretty much pwned Nog on the ground, and took it wherever he wanted. I was expecting it to be a bit more even, but Werdum was on another level entirely.Werdum is a world-class grappler, no doubt about it. Got to work on his cardio, though.This seems to be a problem for most heavyweights... It's hard to move around, carrying so much weight.JDS and Veslaquez seemed gassed in their last fight as well...

Built Like  A Fedor site profile image

6/10/13 7:28 AM by Built Like A Fedor

VTFU, just because..

Willy the Coyote site profile image

6/10/13 5:43 AM by Willy the Coyote

A person experienced in warfare will attack an enemy's weak points....

potatoes site profile image

6/10/13 5:20 AM by potatoes

Just an FYI, here's the definition of warrior as defined by dictionary.com warrior[ wawr-ee-er, wawr-yer, wor-ee-er, wor-yer ]noun1. a person engaged or experienced in warfare; soldier.2. a person who shows or has shown great vigor, courage, or aggressiveness, as in politics or athletics.Oh yeah I see that part where it says warriors attack people where they are weak. Me being dickish aside, what I meant was Nog showed great warrior spirit in all of his fights, and regardless to the exact meaning of the word warrior I think that you knew the spirit of what I was saying. I assume you are insinuating it was dumb for Nog to not fight where his opponent was weakest?

KingofBJJ site profile image

6/10/13 3:28 AM by KingofBJJ

Just FYI. A warrior does go after his opponent's weaknesses.

KingofBJJ site profile image

6/10/13 12:10 AM by KingofBJJ

Just FYI. A warrior does go after his opponent's weaknesses.