Woodley: Feed me to the wolves

Tyron Woodley made one of the more impressive debuts of a Strikeforce import, TKO'ing Jay Hieron in just thirty six seconds of the first round at UFC 156. Now Woodley faces a hard test this weekend, fighting Jake Shields at UFC 161. Woodley, however, is down for the challenge and ready to fight the best the UFC has to offer:

"The whole goal that entire camp was to make a statement," Woodley told Bleacher Report about his UFC debut. "I not only wanted to make a statement to myself but also the team I fight for and the promotion. The UFC needed to see that I was there now and put everyone on notice.

"I think I'm ready, man. I don't need to be powdered up. I've asked for tough fights on purpose. Feed me to the wolves. I already know who they are. It's not like they have some secret animal they are going to unleash inside the cage. I already know who the wolves are in the welterweight division and I'm ready to fight any of them."

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Contract Killer CK Long Sleeve Rashguard

Contract Killer CK Long Sleeve Rashguard

Roots of Fight Gracie vs Kimura Shirt

Roots of Fight Gracie vs Kimura Shirt

tags: Tyron Woodley (detail)  UFC 161

IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap site profile image

6/10/13 1:29 PM by IAmNotImpressedbyYourStocktonSlap

I love this guy! Even more so since he's from STL, my hometown. I think he runs through Shields, his wrestling is great and his explosive athleticism is incredibly hard to handle.

Il Duce site profile image

6/10/13 1:09 PM by Il Duce

Love the attitude. He may end up turning me into a fan.

minotauro11 site profile image

6/10/13 12:45 PM by minotauro11

Tyron wants a KOTN bonus. I think he's pissed Bigfoot stole his last time out. Someone above compared this to the Galvao fight, I think that is a perfect comparison. Shields is a better wrestler but probably a less dangerous grappler. Hopefully equally outmatched on the feet.

caposa site profile image

6/10/13 12:29 PM by caposa

When Woodley was first on everyone's radar in Strikeforce Challengers he looked like a complete beast. Around the Saffiedine fight he started approaching fights differently and went the more safe route. He's been noticeably more aggressive in his last 2 fights though, so let's hope he's back to his old self. Would not surprise me one bit to see him KO Shields. If he wins, Erick Silva would be a perfect fight.

JStrongMMA site profile image

6/10/13 12:17 PM by JStrongMMA

Lol..shut up dude.

JStrongMMA site profile image

6/10/13 12:16 PM by JStrongMMA

Shields is going to grapplefuck Woodley to a decision.

MisterMr site profile image

6/10/13 11:21 AM by MisterMr

Shields will get cut if he loses this fight.I'm rooting for Shields.

Onlyonemichaelbisping site profile image

6/10/13 5:16 AM by Onlyonemichaelbisping

Fair play.. After watching a few of his more boring fights in strikeforce I wasn't sold on woodley but he's proving the doubters wrong

MMA Lives Here site profile image