Aldo: Pettis cut in line for title shot; I will too, at lightweight

When former lightweight contender Anthony Pettis decided to drop to 145, he was given an immediate title shot, something that does not sit well with current UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo.

However, should Aldo beat Pettis, he, too, plans to switch divisions, with an immediate title shot.

This weekend Aldo was asked for his thoughts when Pettis dropped down, pushing aside contenders like Ricardo Lamas, Chad Mendes, Cub Swanson and Chan Sung Jun.

"I think it can be a valid approach, but not when someone drops from the weight class above to immediately challenge the champion," said Aldo. "There are already various contenders within the weight class. If someone just shows up and immediately challenges for the belt, he's cutting in line, and everyone sees that.

"I don't think it's fair. I think if you're going to drop down, then prove yourself by first having great fights within the weight class, and then you've earned the right to fight for the belt. That's how I think. But since we're already booked, no problem. I'll just go and win that fight."

However, if Jose Aldo beats him, he is going to join him.

"If everyone is cutting in line, I might as well do the same thing," said Aldo. "I'd like to move up one division and have an immediate title shot. We took the Pettis fight with this in mind.

"It's [set]. Exactly. We put that in (the contract). It's black and white. When we accepted the Pettis fight, we brought that up right away. Since everyone wants to cut into our line, let's cut into theirs too."

"I like challenges. My life's been nothing but challenges. It's just another one in my career. Thank God I'm going through this. It makes me very happy. The next challenge is always the biggest. Pettis will be the biggest. After I'm done with him, there will be another. That's my life."

Read entire article...

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Headrush Panther Shirt

Headrush Panther Shirt

CRMartin11 site profile image

6/11/13 1:18 AM by CRMartin11

and Melendez.

CRMartin11 site profile image

6/11/13 1:14 AM by CRMartin11

I hope Grant gets his title shot. I think TJ has a great chance VS Benson. TJ Grant vs Aldo would be fireworks.

tjmitchiscool site profile image

6/11/13 12:52 AM by tjmitchiscool

Such a whiner...news flash Aldo, you could've gotten a title shot at 155 any time you asked for it...

Chiron site profile image

6/10/13 11:59 PM by Chiron

What kind of nonsense is that? I'm all about finishing but to say Aldo can't finish at 145 is wrong. He finished 3 out of 7 title fights and finished 8 of his 12 fights in the UFC/WEC. Hell, he just finished Mendes before his last title defense and no one else has even beaten Mendes, let alone finished them. Plus Aldo beat Edgar, who was about neck and neck with the LW champion. If Aldo beats Pettis, who barely beat the current LW champion, then he should definitely be at LW fighting for the belt.

MMALOGIC site profile image

6/10/13 10:44 PM by MMALOGIC

Aldo cant finish fights at 145... he has no business at 155.

7 Dust site profile image

6/10/13 10:41 PM by 7 Dust

Showtime matches Aldo in every category. He probably has much better wrestling. I'm going with Showtime with the win.

UGCTT_5 for fighting site profile image

6/10/13 10:40 PM by UGCTT_5 for fighting

I have no problem with Aldo getting an immediate shot if he wins and would deserve it more the previously mentioned fighters.

DoomFarmer site profile image

6/10/13 10:36 PM by DoomFarmer

And he lost?

Refuse to Lose site profile image

6/10/13 10:35 PM by Refuse to Lose

Smart move for him to have a guaranteed title shot at LW should he win. Can't wait for this matchup extremely intriguing.

LILBROCK site profile image

6/10/13 10:30 PM by LILBROCK

So wouldn't it make sense that it happened once and he said nothing, even though he was bothered and when it happened again, he made sure it was placed in his contract that he is offered the same luxury?