Jones: Gustafson won't be my toughest test

Yesterday the UFC formally announced that Jon Jones would defend his UFC lightheavyweight title against Alexander Gustafson in September. MMAFighting.com's Ariel Helwani caught up with Jones yesterday to get his first comments on the fight:

After Lyoto Machida beat Dan Henderson in February, he was told he would be next to fight you, so why are you fighting Gustafsson instead?

I'm really not sure. That was Dana White's call.

Yeah, that definitely happened. I beat Lyoto already. Ultimately, it was Dana's decision to match me up with Gustafsson and not Machida, but I did mention to Dana that I had already defeated Lyoto, and the UFC 140 pay-per-view numbers were pretty terrible. If you have a perfectly healthy, young contender who is on a rampage, why not keep new opponents, new excitement for the fans?

You wrote on Twitter that you think this will be your toughest fight. Why?

I don't think he will be my toughest fight, but I need to have that psychology. I realize that he is a young man who is close to realizing a dream. You know, a lot of the guys I have fought have already had title shots before, but this is his very first title shot. I'm sure he's going to be extremely motivated.

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

imteamme site profile image

6/15/13 7:21 AM by imteamme

Sadly Jones is rightGustafsson has only fought one legit fighter Plus Jones IS STILL bigger and has a MUCH BIGGER reach then GustafssonJones NEEDS to move up to HW already

Phisher site profile image

6/15/13 6:54 AM by Phisher

Wingspan =/= actual arm length.     Gustafsson's "reach" is supposedly only two and a half inches longer than Fedor's. Does it look like his arms are only an inch and a quarter longer than Fedor's?

Bobby Lupo site profile image

6/15/13 6:47 AM by Bobby Lupo

This is not competitive matchmaking. Jones will thrash him worse than he did any of his challenger. This kid has no wrestling. It's going to be bloody and brutal highlight material

Kalle Mero site profile image

6/15/13 6:32 AM by Kalle Mero

Gustafssons reach is nothing special, 76.5 in.

Carl Sonnen site profile image

6/15/13 6:07 AM by Carl Sonnen

"I'm really not sure. That was Dana White's call.Didn't you tell the UFC that Gustafsson presented a new challenge for you since you beat Machida at UFC 140?"lol"You wrote on Twitter that you think this will be your toughest fight. Why?I don't think he will be my toughest fight..."Hmm, I think I see a pattern emerging.

HandyDarsh site profile image

6/14/13 5:49 PM by HandyDarsh

Lots of brutal beat downs on the card

brune90 site profile image

6/14/13 4:43 PM by brune90

wonder what the ufc 140 numbers were...that was a great night of fights. The champ weathers the storm and chokes the challenger unconcious, Mir snaps Nogs arm (painful to watch as I am a fan)and Tito got spanked by little nog

Lazer MMA site profile image

6/14/13 4:18 PM by Lazer MMA

I heard there was this great bridge that just went up for sale! Can I PM you a quote?

buckshot44 site profile image

6/14/13 4:09 PM by buckshot44

I want to believe that Gustaffson will beat Jones.  I really want to believe.

Woodford Mike site profile image

6/14/13 4:04 PM by Woodford Mike

I actually think this is a compelling matchup because of Gustaffson's size and reach. It's clearly not the equal of Jones, but it's something he hasn't really had to deal with yet and I'm interested to see how he handles it.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!