Grant: Pressure for five rounds key to beating Henderson

TJ Grant rightfully earned his lightweight title shot versus Benson Henderson and they will fight at UFC 164 on August 31st. Grant today hosted a Q&A with fans before the UFC 161 weigh-ins and commented on what he feels he can do to win the fight:

"He definitely has a lot of experience in that (championship rounds) and that plays into his advantage, just being in that situation. But, I'm going to prepare for it. When I train for fights, I prepare and I spar five rounds.

It's going to be exciting. I'm not going to let him, I'm going to pressure him, it's going to be in your face. That's the way I like to bring it. We'll see how he fights five rounds when I'm attacking him the whole time."

transcribed by MMAMania.com...

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

Roots of Fight Gracie vs Kimura Shirt

Roots of Fight Gracie vs Kimura Shirt

used2wrestle site profile image

6/14/13 11:48 PM by used2wrestle

I'm really interested in this fight because I hope TJ can bring it and take that belt from him. I feel like the others have been trying to win on points and then complaining when they lose a decision. Literally the only real win was against Diaz. The reason I'm optimistic is because it seems like Grant is still super hungry, like GSP when he was taking out Sherk, Hieron, Miller. Edgar, Melendez and Diaz were all making really good money even if they lost.

Strugglezworth site profile image

6/14/13 11:35 PM by Strugglezworth

I will be interested to see if TJ can keep a high pace for five rounds if it goes the distance, Bendo's tank usually seems to be unlimited, I think it's a good matchup with Bendo having a slight edge.

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

6/14/13 11:28 PM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

2 guys that love to push a fast pace. Should be a barn burner

cfv site profile image

6/14/13 11:27 PM by cfv

Curious to see them next to each other fight time. Grant was way bigger than Maynard I thought.

MasterofMartialArts site profile image

6/14/13 11:21 PM by MasterofMartialArts

Benson handles pressure well, and I think his kicks and wrestling will be the difference in the fight. TJ is aggressive and a great striker, but he won't show Benson anything he hasn't seen before. Hopefully it will be a great fight, and if he pressures there should plenty of action. With that being said I like TJ, I just think Benson is on a different level.

Deuce77 site profile image

6/14/13 11:14 PM by Deuce77

If this is the strategy, it should make for a great fight.