Couture: White crossing the line when talking about his family

Randy Couture and UFC President Dana White have had a very public battle of words of late in the media. Couture was once the greatest ambassador for the UFC, but since announcing a deal to work with Bellator, Couture has been the target of White in the media. Couture was recently a guest of Ariel Helwani on the MMA Hour and spoke to how he believed White has crossed the line:

"I don't take any of that personal. I don't really tune into the underground and all that other stuff. People come to me and they say, ‘Oh, he said this and he said that.' I don't care; I know what the truth is. I know how I have treated people, how I tried to treat them. And yeah, fighting with them to get a fair shake and be told the truth and, it's been a struggle all along, from ancillary rights down the line. I don't take any of that personal. I don't really tune into it. In the day-to-day running of my life, it's a small thing. But, when you start talking about somebody's kids and their family, yeah, you're crossing the line. I don't think he would like it if I did those sorts of things to him. I know his wife, I know his kids.

He's got my sons fate in his hands in some way here. With Ryan competing and not allowing me to continue to progress and work with my son in his fight career is ridiculous and that bothers me. It bothers me that he could affect my son's livelihood. My son has earned his spot. Ryan has done the work, he has the passion for the sport and he's doing all of the right things. So for him to be hindered and hampered by Dana and Dana's feelings towards me, it isn't fair and that bothers me."

transcription by MMAMania.com...

UFC Fine Gauge Jacquard Beanie

UFC Fine Gauge Jacquard Beanie

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

fightharder site profile image

6/20/13 3:10 PM by fightharder

Are you fucking kidding me?Randy did not gave much of a future at Zuffa/ Fox. They gave him a supporting role on three event a year. They passed him over for all the work that was suppose to be him forte ( Hughes basically got Randy job) . And lets face it they really did not need him either. So Randy made a media deal with Viacom and Dana gets all pissy. Really a shame but Dana should be above that shit.Anyways i could even see why Dana would be kind of mad about the way that all went down BUT to involve a mans family in it is not only fucking weak abd small but frankly rather reprehensible. Lorenzo should have stepped in there. I love Dana but it was a mistake, it was not related to their cobflict at all and it was unbecoming of such a great person.

tomp6581 site profile image

6/20/13 8:41 AM by tomp6581

I can't find anywhere where Dana has talked shit on Ryan. If it is the corner issue, then I kind of think Randy has a point... Banning him from cornering a fighter only harms the fighter, it doesn't help Dana or Hurt Randy... It just seems petty.Why not let Randy corner him and tell commentary not to mention him, and make sure he isn't in shot. That was the fighter isn't affected and you still 'cut' Randy out. Also, So what of Randy told Dana he didn't have a deal with Viacom? If doing that (as a retired fighter) got him a better deal.... Good for Randy. Dana's ego is what was hurt here and he comes across as a control freak to me.

CHiLLEN site profile image

6/20/13 4:01 AM by CHiLLEN

I agree with Randy about the corner issue.

Ryan Black site profile image

6/19/13 10:13 PM by Ryan Black

Scrap7, I can appreciate the respectful response and the vote-up. Nice to see someone who can understand a difference in opinion and still engage in respectful discourse. I can also appreciate when someone can admit when they're wrong and admit that they're working on themselves, too. God knows, we all have flaws- nobody's perfect. Your response to mine told me quite a bit more than I knew before. I'm glad we can agree to disagree on some things, and I'm glad you seem open to taking me up on the advice that I offered. I really feel that you'd benefit greatly from that advice, too. Defending your love of MMA to a group of "non-believers" can be an exhausting job. Once you meet some like-minded people, you'll likely see that it's a pointless struggle.Good luck, man. Thanks again for the respectful reply, and I hope things work out for the better for you.

FightFanUK site profile image

6/19/13 8:46 PM by FightFanUK

Scrap7 you have done the dumbest post i have ever seen on here, Dana has done more for the sport of MMA and fans than you ever will, so please STFU.

Cyril Jeff site profile image

6/19/13 8:12 PM by Cyril Jeff

haha

Cyril Jeff site profile image

6/19/13 8:12 PM by Cyril Jeff

10/10

TEN10TEN site profile image

6/19/13 8:06 PM by TEN10TEN

I love showcasing my failed predictions too.

AnakinHelwani site profile image

6/19/13 7:58 PM by AnakinHelwani

Randy is right. You don't bring personal family into life.

Scrap7 site profile image

6/19/13 7:37 PM by Scrap7

As you can tell I have to have the last word in, another problem I'm workin on.

MMA clothing and gear