Silva still intent to box Roy Jones Jr.

In a recent interview, UFC champion Anderson Silva expressed a desire to compete against boxing legend Roy Jones Jr. in a boxing bout and a mixed martial arts bout. At yesterday's media conference for UFC 162, Anderson was asked again about the bout and reaffirmed his desire:

Despite being told no by boss Dana White four years ago, Anderson Silva said he still wants to fight boxer Roy Jones Jr. before hanging up his gloves.

"Of course I want to fight him, and maybe after this fight against (Chris) Weidman, regardless of the outcome, I would love to fight him," Silva said through an interpreter. "He's already said he'd fight me, so that's something I'd really like to happen."

"I feel that his boxing style is one that I'd like to test myself against. I've always been a fan of his, and I've always wanted to test myself against Roy Jones."

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Jive Turkey site profile image

6/26/13 7:17 PM by Jive Turkey

"still intent to"?Who writes this shit?

Johnny D site profile image

6/26/13 5:06 PM by Johnny D

"Being "The greatest ever" according to Joe Rogan and actually being one of the GREATEST BOXERS TO EVER LIVE are two different things."Most of the younger generation has no understanding of boxings rich history, its impact on American culture over the past 100 years or how rare it is when a Roy Jones Jr comes around. MMA is just a baby, its history is young and its hard to say where A. Silva will be on the list of greats when the books are opened a hundred years from now, or if MMA will survive that long. MMA being discussed in an MMA gym and being discussed in a boxing gym are two very different things, the pro boxers I know and have known respect MMA fighters but that's where it stops. They're two different worlds, completely.

Tilla site profile image

6/26/13 4:29 PM by Tilla

" I always thought that Silva's striking most resembled RJJ."Look back to years ago when Roy stood in the corner and WANTED some guy to tee off on him... Now look what Silva did with Bonnar (a missed spinning back kick).Silva's been biting Roy's styles for ages.Jones would STILL beat him.Being "The greatest ever" according to Joe Rogan and actually being one of the GREATEST BOXERS TO EVER LIVE are two different things.Andy would have a VERY hard time landing on Roy. And Roy wouldn't have his hands full trying to hit Silva.

Johnny D site profile image

6/26/13 3:38 PM by Johnny D

RJJ is fighting at boxings cruiser weight these days, which would be around the MW, LHW in MMA. Basically 190 to 200 lbs.

BigFightFan site profile image

6/26/13 3:11 PM by BigFightFan

What weight is Roy Jones Jr and that weight would this typically take place at?

The Spelling Wizard site profile image

6/26/13 3:05 PM by The Spelling Wizard

testing*

duckhuntgangsta site profile image

6/26/13 2:38 PM by duckhuntgangsta

That's a great point. Silva probably modeled his striking after RJJ's. it would be an honor to fight him. I'd watch it.

Doc T site profile image

6/26/13 2:36 PM by Doc T

"Despite the outcome"

OnlyTheStrongSurvive site profile image

6/26/13 2:11 PM by OnlyTheStrongSurvive

This is correct

Johnny D site profile image

6/26/13 2:08 PM by Johnny D

You could be right, I always thought that Silva's striking most resembled RJJ. Silva, like RJJ, does a lot of things you wouldn't necessarily want to see your fighter do, like holding your hands down at your sides. But he, like RJJ, gets away with it because he's so skilled.

MMA clothing and gear