Weidman shocks the world, knocks out Anderson Silva

After 2,458 days, the UFC has a new middleweight champion.

Chris Weidman ended the long, illustrious reign of Anderson Silva at UFC 162. In a stunning ending, Weidman knocked out Silva with a left hook followed by ground and pound at 1:18 of the second round.

"Chris Weidman is the best, he's the new champion," Silva said afterward. "He's the best."

Title Fight Chris Weidman Vs. Anderson "The Spider" Silva
Fight was scheduled for 5 rounds (5x5x5x5x5) - Fight was for the Middleweight Title
Name Chris Weidman <a href=Chris Weidman" src="http://img.mixedmartialarts.com/method=get&rs=40&q=75&x=229&y=81&w=90&h=120&ro=0&s=ufc-162-poster-07-01-13-0-11-28-427.jpg" />
Height 6′ 0″ (182.88 cm)
Weight 190 (86.18 kg)
Record 9-0-0
Team
VS
Name Anderson Silva <a href=Anderson Silva" src="http://img.mixedmartialarts.com/method=get&rs=100&q=75&x=0&y=0&w=90&h=120&ro=0&s=A99083EB-1D09-6BFC-E5C8F5D902591F5C.jpg" />
Height 6′ 2″ (187.96 cm)
Weight 185 (83.91 kg)
Record 31-4-0
Team Black House

-Chris Weidman defeated Anderson Silva by Knockout (Punches, 2nd Round, 1:18)

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

niveky144 site profile image

7/8/13 1:17 AM by niveky144

i was too irritated with the whole situation to even go through the whole post fight press conference, but if I'm not mistaken from what some people have commented about it, he acted upset when the possibility of a Wiedman rematch was brought up.

KingofBJJ site profile image

7/7/13 11:33 PM by KingofBJJ

The only way out of this is for him to rematch and dispose of Chris in Silva style.  His loss wouldn't be more than a hiccup.

KingofBJJ site profile image

7/7/13 9:54 PM by KingofBJJ

I don't know about the best. He has to defend the belt 10 times in a row first.

Glovegate site profile image

7/7/13 7:50 PM by Glovegate

"I agree in part with what you said, but you have to admit that all of his interview before the fight were nothing like he has ever done. He simply lacked any motivation or enthusiasm.  Yes I am sure he trained hard, but I don't think he really cared anymore."   He was the same as he always has been.  He has never been the screaming guy before fights.  Watch the Sonnen Silva interview.  Sonnen asks a question about Weidman and Anderson goes "WHO?!" like he doesn't know him.  He kissed Chris at the weigh ins, flat out refused to touch gloves and clowned with perhaps more enthusiasm than he ever has. Youre projecting his post fight demeanor onto his prefight person.  He was sad because he lost.  He's human, it happens.  Deal with it.

Ironhouse site profile image

7/7/13 6:55 PM by Ironhouse

No proud Brazilian champion would take a dive to an American. Silly tin hat folk.

DBlades site profile image

7/7/13 8:10 AM by DBlades

It's funny that he came out of his corner initially ready to bring it. He was light on his feet, agile and ready to go. He looked to be putting in max effort. Then somewhere I figured he figured Widemans range out and I loved the clowning for the remainder of the first round. I basically thought "Shit, this guy IS the baddest mofo on the planet" However, when it continued into the second round I thought "Dana is gonna be pissed" I expected him to come out and just blast Wideman......But he didn't and he paid for it. I thought it was entertaining and badass for the first round, but once it got into excessive showboating territory in the second I was worried, then speechless, almost dumbfounded when he knocked him out. His post fight press conference screams humility in a "I fucked up" kind of way. Saying he was tired of competing at this level ect....sounded like excuses, almost like "I could beat him if I wanted, but i didn't want to. Funny thing is he probably could of beat him. Regardless it sounded childish.....I can't see these two NOT fighting again....

dstiff site profile image

7/7/13 3:07 AM by dstiff

Anderson took a play out of Nick Newell's book on keeping your hands up.

SQUEEZIE site profile image

7/7/13 2:37 AM by SQUEEZIE

munoz?lol...chris would destruct him again.you dont get it, those guys aint on his level.anderson and maybe vitor could win.guys like mark,timmy,okami are very gd, but still not as gd as cat the strength as chris is,and overall skill he has them beat too.so they cant win at there strength, and he will beat them even worse at every other aspect.it has to be a striker to beat him.andy or vitor.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!