White: Vitor has to wait, Silva getting rematch

Ray Longo is now the architect of arguably the two biggest upsets in MMA history - Matt Serra over GSP, and now Chris Weidman over Anderson Silva. In UFC title bouts, the challenger agrees to an immediate rematch in the event of a win, and in the first case, GSP came back and reclaimed his belt.

What happens in the rematch will be hotly debated, but UFC president Dana White summed up the future in a single word - 'rematch'.

Silva himself did not appear focused on a rematch in post fight interviews.

“I’m thinking of going home, and then thinking of what I’m going to do after that in three or four months," said Silva. "There’s a lot of pressure in defending the title. I want to take some time.”

However, White says it is just a matter of time.

“I guarantee you there’s nothing more he wants than that rematch with Chris Weidman,” said White after the fight.

"Anderson Silva needs to go home, hang out with his family, take a week or two to shake this thing off. There are times when guys will win a fight, and they don't want to talk for three weeks. It's really part of the process, it really is, and especially a big night like tonight. And when you lose the way that he lost, there's a process for this."

“I’ve never had a problem getting Anderson to fight, he’s never turned down a fight or said, ‘I don’t want this guy. He’s been a great champion and a man of his word.”

"Anderson plays a lot of things off publicly. The guy went on this win streak because he's an amazing competitor and is an amazing talent. He's going to want to redeem himself."

White said the Superfights are off the table.

“That fight cost GSP, Jon Jones and Anderson a lot of money,” said White. “In those super-fights, Anderson was the link to both of them. Now, there you go...”

Also off the table is a fight with Mark Munoz, or one now loudly campaigned for by Vitor Belfort.

"Anderson Silva has gone undefeated since 2006 and has beat everybody and held the title," said White said. "He deserves the rematch. Chris Weidman said that before he even fought him. Vitor is just going to have to wait.

"He's not getting the rematch. He can text. He can tweet. He can write f---ing letters. He can call his congressman. He can do whatever he wants to do. He's going to have to wait. Anderson Silva is getting the rematch."

The last piece in the puzzle, Chris Weidman, is game for all comers, especially Anderson Silva.

“Whoever the UFC wants me in there with, 100-percent,” said Weidman. “I’m holding onto this belt for as long as I possibly can. I don’t care who they bring up to fight me.

"I’d rather have a rematch with Anderson Silva. That’s the first thing I said to Anderson right after the fight. I said, ‘Let’s rematch. You got cocky and put your hands down. Let’s do this again.’”

UFC Elite Series Open Face Headgear

UFC Elite Series Open Face Headgear

RVCA Belfort Flag Shirt

RVCA Belfort Flag Shirt

Jetlife site profile image

7/7/13 9:09 PM by Jetlife

Fight mussasi, vitor. Don't be a pussy and bank on right place right time. Man up god damn it.

sparkuri site profile image

7/7/13 8:55 PM by sparkuri

Sounds good.Make England happy, make Vitor happy, make me happy, make everyone happy.

eljamaiquino site profile image

7/7/13 8:36 PM by eljamaiquino

This. I doubt Silva fights again before 2014. He will chill, spend some time with the family. Silva said it himself, he's tired of the pressure of defending the belt against the young lions. Let Weidman fight Vitor, and line up Phillipou vs Jacare for the next shot. If Anderson wants a fight, let him fight Bisping, so that Bisping can get that wish granted. The way Silva sounded, if he fights for the belt again, he retires right after win or lose.

Shroom Haze site profile image

7/7/13 6:39 PM by Shroom Haze

Man fuck Dana White, always shitting on his fighters man. Take some fucking notes from David stern and Roger Goodell on how to talk about your athletes.

rockyboy site profile image

7/7/13 6:34 PM by rockyboy

Bullshit, Vitor earned his shot

dabigchet site profile image

7/7/13 6:25 PM by dabigchet

Yes, the 38 year old who just signed a 10 fight contract is looking to leave. Makes perfect sense.

Swedgen site profile image

7/7/13 4:49 PM by Swedgen

I know money talks, but Anderson, if I'm right about him in my assessment, won't rematch Chris.

CavemanDave site profile image

7/7/13 4:47 PM by CavemanDave

If there's ever been anybody that deserves an instant rematch after a loss, it's Anderson Silva.  He's just lost, and I think DFW is sincere in his comments about Anderson not remembering what it's like to lose.  DFW has more experience dealing with great MMA fighters coming off a loss than just about anybody on the planet.  I think he's doing the fair thing by letting Anderson think it over for a bit and decide later if he wants that matchup. I think Anderson will be Weidmans next opponent, and I doubt that fight will happen any time before Jan/Feb of next year.

Hessian site profile image

7/7/13 4:41 PM by Hessian

At the post fight presser Dana said "rematch" and Anderson made a face and looked down and to the right away from Dana and shook his head.Anderson handed over the belt, he does not want to be Champion anymore, being Champ under a UFC contract means you can never leave. Besides all the other demands that are made of a Champ time wise.I do not think people understand being Champ can be really restricting when thinking about retirement or doing something outside of MMA.

Michael Chase site profile image

7/7/13 4:39 PM by Michael Chase

When you punch a guy in the face and he goes to sleep... that is a legit knockout.