Weidman: I'd still beat him again

Today new UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman joined Ariel Helwani on 'The MMA Hour' and discussed his UFC 162 bout at length. He reiterated his game plan going into the fight, how he felt mid-fight, and how he sees a rematch going should it happen:

"I’m not here to change other people’s opinion but I’ll tell you one thing: he did not give me the belt, he did not throw the fight," Weidman said. "It was nothing like that. He was doing exactly what he does in all his fights. He had his hands down, he was trying to mentally defeat me, make me freeze, make me feel like I didn’t deserve to be in the ring with him. I didn't want to let him do that. I wanted to put him in his place, and that's it."

Weidman said that even in victory, he does not feel like he put on his best performance, citing a "sluggish" feeling possibly due to his one year off, as well as some mistakes in his submission game that he felt could have ended the fight even earlier. But he also has no regrets. He went for victory at every turn and never let the great Silva break him.

And if they do build a sequel, the new champion says his thoughts about Silva next time around will not change a bit.

"I think he’s still unbelievable, I think he's still the greatest of all time, and I think I’d still beat him again," he said.

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

CapnKindBud site profile image

7/15/13 11:05 PM by CapnKindBud

I know that to a 13'er a finish or a knock out is the same as being a power striker.Andy is a great striker. He KO's people with technique and the element of surprise.That doesn't mean that he is a power striker. He knocks people out with combinations and surprise kicks and knees.My point is that, in my opinion, Weidman is too tall, fast and long for Andy to surprise or flurry. Silva has a chance to leg kick Weidman and he tried it. But Chris comes forward anyway and forces the fight.He is going to force Silva to stand in the pocket and trade if he wants to hit Chris solidly. Chris' reactions were far too fast for Andy to sucker punch or kick. He tried .He tried to stand with him and knew that he couldn't . That's one reason that he went to the clowning. He knew that a fake out, sucker punch was his only chance.Longo knew this also and actually hired guys to come in and taunt and disrespect Chris and try to goad him into making a mistake! He wasn't gonna make that mistake and it was only a matter of time.This time it will be faster because this time Chris knows that he can take Andy's punch and can knock Andy down with a glancing punch and jump on and finish him.......And so does Anderson Silva, who in my opinion is one of the best fighters to ever live. But this is MMA and EVERYONE loses and Weidman will too . Just not on the rematch ....Weidman in 2

Bisping decisioned my SN site profile image

7/10/13 2:56 PM by Bisping decisioned my SN

Weidman was never on the verge of being KOd himself. That is some wishful thinking. He dominated Anderson in all facets from start to finish. The only thing silva landed were some OK leg kicks. He still got knocked the fuck out and you thinking it was a fluke shows your ignorance.

Bisping decisioned my SN site profile image

7/10/13 2:53 PM by Bisping decisioned my SN

Fluke KO hahahaha He abused him from the onset of the fight

MrHughes1991 site profile image

7/10/13 11:28 AM by MrHughes1991

Prolly the first Chael fight

Mojo514 site profile image

7/10/13 9:19 AM by Mojo514

Only way Weidman could beat Silva again is if Silva clowns again, wat Silva did was fuckin stupid, he clowned wayyy too much it was hard to watch him slow the belt away, Silva better wake the fuck up n fight in the rematch

Affliction Blackbelt site profile image

7/9/13 11:19 PM by Affliction Blackbelt

It really doesn't help your case by calling JDS beating Cain a "fluke KO". JDS has a record stacked with knock outs, and it was just a fluke that he threw a punch into Velasquez's head? No, just no. Cain got beat, but like a true champ he used adversity to strengthen his game and come back stronger. The same was done by GSP. So lets hope Silva follows the trend.

AFC1281 site profile image

7/9/13 11:07 PM by AFC1281

Didn't Cain Velasquez get fluke KO'd by Dos Santos and everyone was calling him the GOAT? Then in their rematch, Cain obliterated and exposed Dos Santos for the GOAT fraud he was and completely silenced all of his haters. Silva will do the same exact thing to Weidman and expose his fluke KO.Everyone kept saying Silva had nothing for Weidman, yet it was Weidman who was gassed in the 2nd rd and was on the verge of being KO'd himself, was it not for Silva fucking around so much.And the only reason Weidman wasn't hurt was because Silva only landed leg kicks. Weidman was wide open for those Muay Tai knees on the fence when Anderson stuffed the takedown. Instead of firing, he decided to clown some more. More so than usual...

Jons Forsberg site profile image

7/9/13 6:58 PM by Jons Forsberg

excuses are in early.

Jack Carter site profile image

7/9/13 6:55 PM by Jack Carter

Oh, Silva stuffed a takedown. Is that the argument for how Silva had something for Weidman? You know what stuffing a takedown led to? It led to Weidman dominating Silva on the feet and knocking him the fuck out. What's up with these Silva fans?I'm a silva fan, but there are some that are just blind.

RocketsRedglare site profile image

7/9/13 6:51 PM by RocketsRedglare

Weidman is in the improvement stage, so that should have a bearing, with 6 months more striking work. I wouldn't give Silva a rematch, though, because of stealing from the fans, if the fighter has anything to say about it. Plus, as a promoter, I would give Weidman easier fights to build him up as a name.