Sonnen: Bout with Jones stopped early

At a recent Q&A session at the UFC Fan Expo in Las Vegas, Chael Sonnen was asked if he thought his last title fight with Jon Jones was stopped early. What do you think he said?

“I do think it was stopped too early.  I was surprised when they stopped the fight,” said Sonnen during a question and answer session during the UFC Fan Expo leading up to UFC 162: Silva vs. Weidman.

Sonnen did not protest the stoppage when it happened, but has said he was defending himself when the referee called a halt to the fight.

“Anytime you’re in that type of competition, whether you agree with it or you don’t agree with it, you get up and you walk out because those are the rules,” he said.  “I’ve won plenty of fights where they stopped them too early, so it goes both ways.  Yes, it was stopped too early.”

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

UFC Ready for Battle Shirt

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

nexus6ca site profile image

7/11/13 2:39 PM by nexus6ca

Man I missed his rematch with Jon Jones? I mean a rematch is clearly fair since he was about 15 seconds from winning it due to the broken toe!Awwww!

MattyECB site profile image

7/11/13 1:12 PM by MattyECB

I guess, I certainly think it's foolish to call this a mistake by the referee, but if you remember the lead-up, and I might be wrong here, I believe Jones stuffed him against the cage. It's not like the AS fight where he just gave up and waited on his ass to finish, he got shoved like a kid against the cage then beat on while he still moved his arms and tried to catch shots. He was getting fucked the whole fight, had zero offense, and certainly would've lost the fight barring freak injury, but the time he spent stuffed against the cage and eating shots was, again, a lot less than other fights I can think of. But I'll shutup since I guess I'm arguing semantics lol

MattyECB site profile image

7/11/13 1:08 PM by MattyECB

Really? That's pretty fucking extreme. I thought it was stopped early, and certainly compared to Rosenthal fights like Lesnar, or Edgar's 2X Maynard fights, this would be considered an early stoppage. Actually there are a ton of examples where a fighter has taken more damage, and if you strictly follow the, "intelligently defending yourself," guideline, you can see Sonnen getting shitwrecked but still moving and trying to block GnPNow, don't get me wrong I'm thanking God every day this abortion of a fight was stopped because it prevented a disgusting travesty -- A MW who hadn't fought at LH for a half-decade and who maintained a 1-1 record there, fighting the champ off a loss and winning by freak-toe-injury after the most brutal shitbeating from the Champ, thus going on to logjam the division for over a year -- from occurring, but I think the case can be made the ref jumped the gun a bit.

Cyril Jeff site profile image

7/11/13 11:50 AM by Cyril Jeff

2nd indeed...

UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman site profile image

7/11/13 11:46 AM by UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman

Assuming he was talking about Anderson and the UG Blog is just racist....   Sorry Chael, cowering in the fetal position does not count as intelligently defending yourself.

mijo site profile image

7/11/13 11:25 AM by mijo

Stopped Early? Anyone who agrees with this needs to stop watching MMA!

AlexanderTheGOAT site profile image

7/11/13 11:18 AM by AlexanderTheGOAT

The UG isn't as funny as the OG, not even close!

studiocamp site profile image

7/11/13 10:41 AM by studiocamp

What's even funnier is how everyone's now reacting towards ug blog since Kirik said the UG wasn't as funny as the OG. The changing of people's tune towards ug blog is the most hilarious thing in this thread so far.

StratTone site profile image

7/11/13 10:35 AM by StratTone

That's one way to look at it I guess.

Joshua King site profile image

7/11/13 10:11 AM by Joshua King

Ug blog is the Anderson Silva of troll threads and trolling grammar nazis

MMA clothing and gear