Cormier wants Nelson to re-sign and settle up

UFC heavyweights Daniel Cormier and Roy Nelson have had a bit of smack talk back and forth in the media as of late, and Cormier would like nothing more to settle it in the cage. However, one problem. Nelson currently is not yet under contract with the UFC:

Cormier told MMAFighting.com on Thursday that he wants to fight Nelson at UFC 166 on Oct. 19 in Houston in what will be his last fight at heavyweight.

"Roy and I still have some unfinished business," Cormier said. "I hope he re-signs with the UFC, so we can settle what he started two months ago.

"I want to find a way to give him a pass for his performance against Stipe [Miocic at UFC 161] since he took that fight on such short notice. In my eyes, that loss didn't do much to diminish his place in the UFC heavyweight division."

Fear the Fighter Boxing Club 2013 Shirt

Fear the Fighter Boxing Club 2013 Shirt

Fear the Fighter Roy Nelson UFC 166 Walkout Shirt

Fear the Fighter Roy Nelson UFC 166 Walkout Shirt

Toquinho site profile image

7/12/13 1:44 PM by Toquinho

Imo cormier vs nelson is not interesting. Cormier should fight werdum, winner overeem vs brown, miocic, barnett (if he defeats mir), bigfoot 2.

PrettyBoy site profile image

7/12/13 1:20 PM by PrettyBoy

Aren't these guys friends? I think this is an angle to get Roy a pay check he deserves finally.

KidPittsburgh site profile image

7/12/13 1:06 PM by KidPittsburgh

I love DC's desire to want to bang all the time.

narsil x anduril site profile image

7/12/13 1:01 PM by narsil x anduril

remember that time that roy nelson called daniel cormier an "uncle tom"? that might have something to do with it......

Chris27 site profile image

7/12/13 12:53 PM by Chris27

If Roy resigns and wins that fight talk about him losing to Stipe will go away and some will say its because he took it on short notice or wasnt serious.  It would put him back in the mix for a title shot with another high profile win. If DC beats Roy you dont really risk a contender and it builds DC name up more cause Nelson is a popular guy.  And if say Cain lost to JDS, DC could then jump right in for a title shot if he beats Nelson.  So this is a way to keep him active, keep him in the HW div for now in case Cain loses, lets him slowly make the cut to LHW if thats what he is planning on doing, all without risking a top contender. So it works in alot of ways.

WhoShotYushinOkami site profile image

7/12/13 12:47 PM by WhoShotYushinOkami

^^^ I see. Thanks for explaining. I guess I just never considered a guy who is basically a cunt hair away from a title shot not actually wanting one due to friendship. For all his faults though, I still consider Roy a dangerous guy. Obviously Cormier would be favored, but you never know in MMA what can happen and Roy has some power. I mean if he wants to take the safe route, he may as well take the safest and wait and see what happens with JDS/Cain in October (IIRC thats when its scheduled). Just my opinion.

Chris27 site profile image

7/12/13 12:38 PM by Chris27

Because if DC isnt serious about staying at HW nad isnt gonna fight Cain why on earth would you match him with someone like Werdum or Reem or Barnett?  Why possibly kill off a contender when DC wont fight Cain. This way if he is serious about slowly going down to LHW he can still fight Roy who after that last loss is now not a contender for the title anymore.  So its a fun fight and it doesnt risk anything. Thats probably the way DC sees it and the UFC sees it.

WhoShotYushinOkami site profile image

7/12/13 12:32 PM by WhoShotYushinOkami

I would like to see more ambition from Cormier; both with his fighting and who he "calls out". Cormier is ranked what 3rd or 4th on most rankings? Why is he calling out a guy who has dipped outside the top 10???? I mean when you are that fucking close to the title, your supposed to do everything in your power to get your shot. But this fucking guy is driving in the wrong direction. Fighting Werdum for the next title shot after JDS/Cain 3  is the logical fight. Yet he calls out a guy who a) just lost to an up and comer b) fell outside of the top ten rankings which puts him at least 6 spots behind Cormier c) isnt guaranteed to be fighting in the same organization any more

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!