Weidman vs. Silva rematch set for UFC 168

It may be the biggest PPV in the history of the UFC and today UFC President Dana White made it official: Chris Weidman will rematch Anderson Silva, December 28th, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, NV.

Weidman shocked the world last weekend when he knocked out the long-time UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva. Silva had previously held the title for the last seven years and was undefeated in the UFC in sixteen consecutive fights.

"Ever since the fight got over, I don't know if there's ever been any more hype, ever, in UFC history after a fight," White said on "SportsCenter." "Everybody has been wondering if there will be a rematch. I've been working on it since Thursday.

"Anderson Silva is motivated, fired up and wants the belt back," White said. "I expect a totally different fight. I don't think he is going to come out and taunt [Weidman].

"He went out and played. It's not the first time he's done this. He's done it before and he got away with it. Chris Weidman didn't allow it. Chris Weidman kept his composure when [Silva] was messing around with him and Weidman went right after him and ended up knocking him out."

In his post-fight interview, Silva announced that he was uninterested in a rematch, or fighting for a title again, but reports began to surface in Brazil that he had already changed his mind. Weidman has more than once stated that he would grant Silva a rematch and that was what he mosted wanted so he could prove the first win wasn't a fluke.

The rematch will serve as the main event UFC 168 and the women's title fight between Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey will be the co-main event.

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Jaybrone site profile image

7/16/13 9:03 PM by Jaybrone

If that doesn't qualify as a brutal KO what does?

Jaybrone site profile image

7/16/13 9:00 PM by Jaybrone

To bad it is nearly 6 months away. I am ready for this NOW.

FingerorMoon site profile image

7/16/13 8:49 PM by FingerorMoon

I'm fairly sure this will end with a run in and double chair shots from Vitor.The only part I can't predict is whether he'll enter from the crowd or descend via cable from the ceiling. I'm not a mind reader.

Blackmore site profile image

7/16/13 6:27 AM by Blackmore

Anderson will come out gun shy after the BRUTAL ko he suffered so dont expect him to open up in striking and easier to be taken downIt would be funny if he relayed on his McBjj belt I call another finish by CW

UGCTT_AndersonTheGOAT site profile image

7/16/13 1:58 AM by UGCTT_AndersonTheGOAT

Being the Silva fan I am...its been hard to be objective. It took a while for me to be able re watch the fight for that reason. But after watching, I saw a few things: I saw Silva doing what he does...but more excessively. I saw Chris not GAF who he was in there with. I saw an old lion doing what has ALWAYS worked for him in ufc...and I saw a young lion take a huge bite out of him. I dont know how the next fight will go down. I hope I see a no BS Silva who is out for blood. I hope he is focused more on winning and not entertaining. But more importantly...I hope I see Silva is still hungry.....win or lose. I dont care if he's champ anymore. I just want to watch the guy fight a few more times...I want to watch my favorite fighter do what he does best...Knock the shit out of guys!!!!

REDRUM_NYC site profile image

7/16/13 12:09 AM by REDRUM_NYC

Weidman is going to Re-Retire Silva

UGCTT_FryedTakayama site profile image

7/15/13 11:36 PM by UGCTT_FryedTakayama

Weidman shuts all the doubters up once and for all.

nix1331 site profile image

7/15/13 11:27 PM by nix1331

lol u really think this fight will happen.... its so long out im calling it now ones gonna get injured than the other will take a fight to fill the time and then the timing will be fucked up

AndersonSilvaFan site profile image

7/15/13 11:40 AM by AndersonSilvaFan

Anderson Silva threw the first fight. Now please excuse me as I check my prostate while thinking about Anderson Silva.

Mexican Janitor site profile image

7/15/13 3:41 AM by Mexican Janitor

Nah, I like Silva, but Weidman gave him a shot he'll never forget and he put him to sleep when Silva buckled. I felt like crying, but Weidman cleaned his fucking clock

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!