Gegard: Belfort knows it's inevitable we're going to meet in the Octagon

Former Strikeforce champion Gegard Mousasi was recentl interviewed by the Brazilian language site UFC-bh/">Tatame, and discussed his desire to fight Vitor Belfort. Specifically, Mousasi wants Belfort on Dec 28, with the winner getting a shot at the Weidman vs. Silva rematch.

"The reality is this - Silva vs Weidman II is going to have to happen first on December 28th," said Mousasi. "Vitor has to wait for a title shot no matter what.  I know the UFC wants to see this fight happen as they offered it to me for UFC Belo Horizonte in September.  I could not take the fight because I just had surgery.  So, it is inevitable that Vitor and I are going to have to meet first to determine who the #1 contender is.  So my opinion is that we should also fight on December 28th on the same card as Anderson v. Weidman II to determine the #1 contender spot for the UFC middleweigh title."

"It is as simple as this.  Vitor and I were supposed to fight in the past for both Affliction and now the UFC.  Vitor knows that it is inevitable that we are going to have to meet in the Octagon".

Affliction Sentient Shirt

Affliction Sentient Shirt

Jaco Vitor Belfort Blackzilians Lion Crew Shirt

Jaco Vitor Belfort Blackzilians Lion Crew Shirt

XcessiveZ site profile image

7/20/13 1:16 PM by XcessiveZ

Vitor has fought better competition and has beaten higher caliber opponents than Gegard has.Anyone who says that Gegard wins this easily is ignorant or a Vitor hater.Vitors only loses recently have been to Silva and Jones, and even going back throughout his career he has only lost to top tier opponents. Could Mousasi beat Belfort?Sure, he's a great striker with a legit ground game, but Vitor would definitely be the favorite in that fight and deservedly so.Gegard would have a lot of trouble if he comes out slow and laid back while Vitor starts out in high gear like he usually does. I would love to see this fight, it would be a huge victory for either of them and I would love to see the winner get a title shot.I just feel like Mousasi is lacking the big name wins and is a bit overrated, I'm a fan though.

MasterofMartialArts site profile image

7/20/13 12:55 PM by MasterofMartialArts

He kind of KOd Rich and Lindland. And he was the only one willing to step in vs Jones when everyone ducked (besides Sonnen). Did you miss that situation?

MasterofMartialArts site profile image

7/20/13 12:53 PM by MasterofMartialArts

I know right!! Just look at the long list of cans he has been fighting... He's scared of Mousasi!! GTFO.

PhallicObjekt site profile image

7/20/13 12:39 AM by PhallicObjekt

Holy fuck yes please this fight make

Immaculata site profile image

7/19/13 10:31 PM by Immaculata

Be careful what you ask for Gegard.

ShanTheManWEIDenedmybutthole site profile image

7/19/13 10:27 PM by ShanTheManWEIDenedmybutthole

The fight was two minute and the only strike mousasi landed was an upkick while jacare was on his knee.Jacare was doing whatever he wanted and jacare is much better now. He would take Gegard down and submit him in the first round if they fought again.I don't like to say strikes are lucky but it's not like Gegard set anything up. He just threw an upkick and jacare was moving down at the same time.

mcq site profile image

7/19/13 4:39 PM by mcq

Huh? Dustin Poirer? Pretty sure his striking credentials aren't quite on par with GMs.

mcq site profile image

7/19/13 4:36 PM by mcq

Moose also had a shredded ACL.I think there's merit to the argument that he should fight a top 10 first, but fuck that would add to a killer card.Moose takes it IMO. Too many weapons.

mcq site profile image

7/19/13 4:30 PM by mcq

Except VB

303 site profile image

7/19/13 4:25 PM by 303

PUT IT ON THE 28th CARD. Silva vs Weidman, Rousey vs Tate, and Mousasi vs Belfort. Yes please.