Moraga 'cool with' having to earn his money

A lot has been written and said about fighter pay with some fighters criticizing the UFC pay structure and others supporting it. John Moraga is of the latter, but he knew it was gamble:

Moraga’s view on UFC pay is that the company forces him to earn his money. If he performs to its expectations, they take care of him.

“I feel the UFC wants exciting fighters. If you go out and put on an exciting fight, if you put enough effort out there, then they’ll take care of you," he said. "I think they let their fighters earn their money, and I’m cool with that.”

Moraga is in a terrific spot now, but acknowledges things could have gone south just as easily.

“It’s definitely a gamble,” Moraga said of being an undercard fighter. “That’s what we sign up for. But that’s how I saw it. I saw [my undercard fights] as a little amount of money to get me on my feet and I saw it as an opportunity.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

tags: John Moraga (detail)

JustTheTip site profile image

7/25/13 12:54 PM by JustTheTip

Lauzon is an example of poor fighter pay. He's been with the UFC for 7 years and has fought for them 14 times. In those 14 fights, he won 'OTN" bonuses 12 times. Nearly every damn time he's in the cage you know it's going to be exciting. He still gets only $27K to show. After 7 years in the NFL, an athlete receives a pension paid annually once he turns 40 and medical insurance for life. Luckily Joe has made quite a bit in bonuses so I'm sure he's comfortable but a 7 year career, exciting as hell, wins fights, and brings views to the shows should leave him damn near retired. $27K to show? Still? Lombard gets $300K plus a percentage of PPV.

Filo_Beto site profile image

7/25/13 12:43 PM by Filo_Beto

I know Joe is an exciting fighter and probably has made a lot more than his contracted pay but where the hell did you get millions from?

rbl site profile image

7/24/13 6:31 PM by rbl

"John Moraga prefers not to criticise his employers in public" would be a better headline

i remember halloween site profile image

7/24/13 3:18 PM by i remember halloween

Would've been more newsworthy if he wasn't cool with having to earn his money.

JustTheTip site profile image

7/24/13 3:09 PM by JustTheTip

I love his attitude but the UFC shouldn't be a place to "make a little money to get on your feet." It's the pinnacle of sport of mixed martial arts, a $2B company, and the "Superbowl of MMA" according to Dana.

CRE site profile image

7/24/13 2:48 PM by CRE

If he is exciting enough it can pay off, but I see what you're saying.You have to realize that a guy like Joe Lauzon has earned ridiculous money in the UFC compared to what he would've made in other organizations.I believe he has made millions in the UFC without ever fighting for a belt.

bryanand site profile image

7/24/13 2:39 PM by bryanand

History has proved otherwise

Chiron site profile image

7/24/13 2:37 PM by Chiron

Really hope Moraga wins, but considering he's in a title fight he is being underpaid. Hopefully he gets more in the future.

ChaosOverkill site profile image

7/24/13 12:18 PM by ChaosOverkill

TKZ is an exciting fighter.

PrettyBoy site profile image

7/24/13 12:12 PM by PrettyBoy

He thinks towing the company line will pay off in the end... It won't.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!