Silva: Why I initially turned down the rematch

When Anderson Silva lost his title to Chris Weidman at UFC 162 earlier this month, he initally said he didn't want a rematch. UFC president Dana White said with confidence there would would be one, and a week later the rematch was scheduled for the massive New Years show, UFC 168, or Dec. 28.

In an interview with the Brazilian radio show "Mundo da Luta" Silva explained the change of heart.

"I was so sad with myself, with my lack of control on the moment, that I said some words that weren't nice," said Silva. "I said that I wouldn't fight for the title. But after I signed the contract (earlier in the year), Dana told me that he would give [me a rematch if I had lost the belt]. I was so out of myself that I didn't think about it."

"I lost my focus and made a technical mistake. It was one of the things that I left – the philosophy of the martial art –and it cost me the belt. I always fought with this felling of keeping the martial art philosophy and keeping the control of the situation – trying to be as calm as possible for me to keep the balance of the octagon, which is very hard to do."

Silva's fans and detractors alike generally had harsh words after the loss, attributing it to showboating that went too far. Silva said he understands.

"The criticism is valid, but I'm human," he said. "I made a technical mistake, and it was good for me and for the people around me to learn. I had to be able to know that focus is always needed. I lost focus, and now I will get better."

Read entire article...
Listen to entire interview... (Portuguese language)

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman site profile image

7/25/13 12:11 PM by UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman

Except for the part where Chris DID go for takedowns but got stuffed...

UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman site profile image

7/25/13 12:10 PM by UGCTT_iPray2bLaidByWeidman

Grease gate was gsp. He didnt touch gloves he bowed to chris, which is the proper sign of respect in martial arts. How he spoke about chris before and after the fight is a true sign of class and respect. People need to grasp that taunting in the cage is a gameplan. (which obviously backfired and silva admits in this interview that he got carried away and is apologetic of it)

Affliction Blackbelt site profile image

7/25/13 11:40 AM by Affliction Blackbelt

On the other hand, having KO'd Silva, I think that may give Weidman over confidence on the feet and possibly drag him away from the takedowns. Which would be a mistake imo.

12 site profile image

7/25/13 11:27 AM by 12

Anderson - I don't want a rematchdana - I will give you more money,just don't tell tkz anderson - how much more $$$,ok I will do it.dana - btw don't tell the champ,he's making $24,000 to defend the tittle

disbeliever site profile image

7/25/13 11:20 AM by disbeliever

I think the next time they fight Silva will be so concerned with KO'ing Chris and keeping it standing, Chris will go for more take downs and win it.

MMAtador site profile image

7/25/13 11:10 AM by MMAtador

"I always fought with this felling of keeping the martial art philosophy and keeping the control of the situation – trying to be as calm as possible for me to keep the balance of the octagon, which is very hard to do."Is he talking about the glow ??? SHO-NUFF

Fade7 site profile image

7/25/13 10:58 AM by Fade7

Hespect!

thatkidrichard91 site profile image

7/25/13 10:55 AM by thatkidrichard91

If Silva starts taunting and puttinf his hands down in the rematch and loses again, will people start making excuses again? I'm starting to think "Serious" Silva is a mythical being, like Bigfoot and Motivated BJ

HandyDarsh site profile image

7/25/13 10:46 AM by HandyDarsh

Are you telling me this wasnt actually a fixed fight because anderson wanted to lose???

Affliction Blackbelt site profile image

7/25/13 10:44 AM by Affliction Blackbelt

Well said. He seems to have the right mind going into the rematch.