Silva: I lost control

Anderson Silva was a perfect 16-0 in the UFC and in that time showed brilliant control, technique, and power in most of fights. However it was a lack of control that Silva blamed for his recent loss to Chris Weidman at UFC 162:

“It [the awkward movement] was a technical error to keep my legs parallel; I should have taken a step back instead,” he said.

“Several factors led to the knockout. The tension in the air before the fight, you just want to burst ... it was a series of mistakes.”

Silva revealed another error on his part: Instead of returning to his corner after Round 1 for guidance, he took issue with his team’s suggestions.

“In my career, I’ve always went back to my corner [for advice],” Silva said. “Against Weidman, I went back to argue, and I should have gone back to my corner and calmed down. I didn't do any of that; I lost control."

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

War Wrap Ez Rip Sports Tape

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Elevation Training Mask 2.0 Matrix Sleeve

Proteus The Invincible site profile image

7/27/13 9:34 AM by Proteus The Invincible

I don't think Anderson was winning up until the knockout. Chris hit him with some hard ground and pound, landed a couple decent shots on the feet, and had a solid submission attempt. Also, Anderson didn't stuff every takedown attempt, and he managed to get back to his feet because Chris chose to throw top position away by going for the leglock.

Stannis Baratheon site profile image

7/27/13 8:00 AM by Stannis Baratheon

iHazpoopz site profile image

7/27/13 7:30 AM by iHazpoopz

I'll bet this won't happen. The reason his stand up looked like shit and his hands were so low was because he was scared of the take down.

KingofBJJ site profile image

7/26/13 10:32 PM by KingofBJJ

If hell freezes over and Weidman wins the rematch, I will be convinced he is either the real deal or that there are some fighters who just has another fighter,s number (egHallman vs Hughes) no matter what but goes on to lose against lesser fighters.

RockMeAmadeus site profile image

7/26/13 9:30 PM by RockMeAmadeus

What will be Anderson's excuse for losing the rematch by KTFO/KO/TKO?

Jons Forsberg site profile image

7/26/13 6:32 PM by Jons Forsberg

Silva will lose control of his bladder when Weidman makes him do the stanky leg dance for the second time in a row.

Ip Man 81 site profile image

7/26/13 6:20 PM by Ip Man 81

This except I don't think Andy was winning

KingofBJJ site profile image

7/26/13 6:12 PM by KingofBJJ

I doubt it.  Anderson was winning the fight up until he was dancing the "Bernie" and got caught.  Weidman banked on his fan nuthuggery acclaimed rasslin', Silva showed 1) if you got me down you can't keep me down and 2) I can stuff every take down attempt. I expect Silva to come out with a similar strategy, but minus standing their with his hands down like he was Roy Jones Jr.

KingofBJJ site profile image

7/26/13 6:07 PM by KingofBJJ

To be fair.  Silva was also injured during that fight.  In the next fight Sonnen was only able to get him down once and Silva stuffed them everytime after that.  The same was true with Weidman.  Everyone said he was a better wrestler than Sonnen, yet he was only able to hold Silva down for 30 seconds and Silva stuffed them everytime afterwards.

Ip Man 81 site profile image

7/26/13 5:33 PM by Ip Man 81

There was a moment at the end of the first round and beginning of the second where Chris had clearly slowed down, I think missed 2 TD attempts, one which he shot in very lazy. Had Silva actually fought him at those points instead of acting like an idiot the fight may have turned out different, maybe Chris still would have won. If a similar situation comes up in the rematch, Andy will fight him rather than mock him. I'd also like to see Silva throw knees from the clinch, that's possible the best part of his game and he did nothing in the clinch against Chris.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!