Rebney: Chandler now one of MMA's highest paid lightweights

Although Michael Chandler fights out of the UFC, for Bellator Fighting Championship, he is now one of the highest paid lightweights in MMA after the signing of his new contract:

"It's one of those things where it just feels right," Chandler said. "This deal, the negotiations and the meetings and the talks, everything was playing itself out, and it felt right. I felt that this was the right move to make. I love fighting in Bellator. They put a lot of faith in me, and they're using me a ton for advertising and continuing to sign top talent. I can guarantee they're going to continue to sign more and bigger talent. For me, it's just about continuing to fight. I want to continue to go out there and dominate and show my friends and family, my fans, how hard I've been working."

Of course, Chandler admitted, it helped that an ongoing legal battle between Bellator and Alvarez has made the details of the organization's offer to the former champ public knowledge. It showed him what Bellator was willing to pay a man he'd already beaten, and informed his own notion of what he should expect to make for a new deal, he said.

"It was a little bit [of a help] just to see what he was being offered," Chandler said. "I'm not a guy who spends a lot of time going to different websites and trying to figure out what guys are getting paid. Obviously, my passion is fighting, but yes, I do want to be compensated accordingly, and compensated as well as I possibly can. Especially being 27 years old, getting closer to 30, I want to be able to provide for my future wife and future kids."

The new contract should help him do that. Although neither would offer specifics about the financial figures involved, Rebney said repeatedly that this deal will put Chandler among the elite 155-pound earners.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

tags: Michael Chandler   Bellator

12SixElbow site profile image

7/27/13 12:49 PM by 12SixElbow

Anyone who answers yes to that is an idiot. Of course they wouldn't have.

12SixElbow site profile image

7/27/13 12:43 PM by 12SixElbow

"Obviously, our industry is not that large," Rebney said. "There's the UFC and Bellator. What the UFC pays its top lightweights and what Bellator pays is pretty common knowledge. It doesn't take a CIA agent to figure out what those numbers are, but I can tell you pretty unequivocally that Michael Chandler is now one of the top-paid lightweights in all of MMA."   FACK. I wonder how much he is getting?

Bentleysuper8 site profile image

7/27/13 12:40 PM by Bentleysuper8

Speaking of smaller orgs having good talent...Cain Valasquez fought for Bodog. So did Alvarez and Big Country and there are 5 Bodog fighters on the Seattle card this weekend. Seems no matter how good you are, no one takes you seriously till the UFC no matter what you do.

Mertvaya Ruka site profile image

7/26/13 6:43 PM by Mertvaya Ruka

Insult to the other UFC LWs?Eddie Alvarez is a DRAW. He's a name and Zuffa recognized that.Not all fighters are draws, actually, they are pretty rare.

Bellator Fan site profile image

7/26/13 12:57 PM by Bellator Fan

Ariel Helwani is getting crushed on this thread!!! This is a clear sign that Bellator is about to fold...

Chris27 site profile image

7/26/13 12:47 PM by Chris27

I dont know about Bellators LW div getting close to the UFC. I mean Jansen, Rickels are weak fights for Chandler.  Then you have all prospects, something Eddie himself said he wasnt happy about in Bellator.  WHen the guy established himself as a top LW he wanted to fight top LW, not some prospect nobody knows coming through a tournament. Thats basically what Chandlers career is gonna be, its always gonna be a guy coming off a tournament who probably hasnt fought anyone better than top 20 in the world and then he gets pushed into a fight with a top 5 LW in Chandler.  Now maybe they find that next CHandler who comes out of nowhere but for Chandler its gonna suck cause him vs a prospect isnt gonna be a huge fight for him.  Maybe Tiger or Brooks or Sinclair become legit in time but I just dont see them having near the depth, near the quality as the UFC LW div.  Good for Chandler for getting that money, without another org he wouldnt get this kind of money but speaking as just a fight fan I dont see how anyone could say they are happy about this.

Garv site profile image

7/26/13 9:32 AM by Garv

haha, yeah he dicktucked hard on this thread because he saw that I was using real logic to paint him into a corner. MMA Logic says that he doesn't like Bellator because of how they treated Eddie, but the fact is that the UFC's offer to Eddie was a huge insult to a lot of UFC LWs who fight their hearts out for the UFC fight after fight and are still nowhere near Eddie's offer.  This offer is a disgusting slap in the face of a lot of UFC LWs.

RockyBullwinkle site profile image

7/26/13 1:37 AM by RockyBullwinkle

Interesting thing someone pointed out on Bloody Elbow. The top 5 highest paid LW are Bendo (100k to show/100k to win + ppv probably) Gil Melendez ($175k a fight(, Josh Thomson (85K to show/10k to win) Eddie Alvarez (70k to show/ 70k to win + ppv if he is in a title fight) and now Chandler. Of these, only 1 got his contract coming up through the UFC and that was only after he won the title and Alvarez's contract info came out. The others got their contracts from promotions (Strikeforce and Bellator) who had to compete with the UFC to keep those fighters.

RockMeAmadeus site profile image

7/26/13 1:33 AM by RockMeAmadeus

Chandler may be getting paid well from a 2nd rate MMA org, but he's not getting paid more than the UFC LW Champ.Benson$ > Chandler$

jimbonice site profile image