Aaron Riley retires following 16 year fight career

Aaron Riley, who started fighting for Jeff Osborne's HOOKnSHOOT back in 1997, has retired following a split decision loss to Justin Salas at UFC on Fox 8 Saturday night.

He made the announcement via Twitter.

Aaron Riley @aaronrileymma
Fight my last MMA fight tonight. It's been fun but after 16 years I'm calling it good. Thanks to everyone who ever supported my career.

Even in his earliest days, Riley already had built a reputation for being one of the toughest fighters in the sport who was willing to step up and face anybody inside the cage or ring.

After more than 20 fights in the local circuit, Riley finally got his shot at the UFC in May 2002, where he lost a hard-fought unanimous decision to Robbie Lawler at UFC 37.

Following the loss, Riley went back to competing in regional promotions before earning a chance to compete in Pride Fighting Championships in 2005, where he knocked out Michihiro Omigawa with a stunning first-round head kick.

That fight earned Riley a shot back in the Octagon, but his fight against Spencer Fisher ended after only one round. Not because Riley got knocked out or submitted, but because he suffered a broken jaw during the fight.

Riley exited the UFC once again after that loss, but returned in November 2008 and never fought for another promotion again.

Riley closed out his career with a 3-4 record in the UFC, picking up wins over notable names like former Ultimate Fighter competitor Jorge Gurgel and Shane Nelson.

Read entire article...

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: UFC   Aaron Riley (detail)

JNM site profile image

7/29/13 11:30 AM by JNM

What a badass! Amazing fighter and genuine and great man. Thanks for all the fun wars to watch. Sad to see you hang it up. You're the man! WAR RILEY

caseharts site profile image

7/29/13 2:37 AM by caseharts

A warrior with balls bigger than anyone else in there

jopturne site profile image

7/29/13 2:23 AM by jopturne

I met him at the Hook N Shoot in Evansville, IN a few months ago. Super nice and humble guy. I started out in the Hook N Shoot, and he has been an inspiration to me and I'm sure many others.

Chiron site profile image

7/29/13 12:52 AM by Chiron

16 years is a long career in MMA. I wish him luck in whatever he pursues next.

DontBeScaredGomi site profile image

7/28/13 11:06 PM by DontBeScaredGomi

Thank you aaron Riley, always been a fan and I'm glad I got to see him fight live

KBeezy site profile image

7/28/13 10:21 PM by KBeezy

one of my all time favorites

Pikes site profile image

7/28/13 9:50 PM by Pikes

All fighters should aspire to be as aggressive and tough as Riley. Sucks that the sport is going in the direction that these point fighters are bringing it. We need more like Riley.

Bentleysuper8 site profile image

7/28/13 9:28 PM by Bentleysuper8

I bumped into Aaron in the hotel as he noticed I was wearing a Bodog shirt. He says he loves the underground as it's always a good place for a laugh.I think he should have got the nod as he really was the agressor in that fight. Tough way to go out. If Salas was looking for fans on Saturday it didn't work. Aaron brought it but had to run a marathon just to engage.

BKViper site profile image

7/28/13 8:48 PM by BKViper

Damn, great fighter Anyone else see his fight with Robbie Lawler at one of the early UFCs?It was one of the first events I went to and their fight helped hook me on the sport. A real war.

SHOGUN250 site profile image

7/28/13 7:03 PM by SHOGUN250

I do think Riley is the type of fighter/martial artist who will do fairly well for himself coaching and teaching.