Four athletes make more than flyweight champ at UFC on FOX 8

The Washington State Athletic commission today released the salary information for it's UFC on FOX 8 event from this past weekend. Please note that these numbers only represent the official salaries made by each athlete, and not necessarily the total compensation of each athlete:

Demetrious Johnson: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus)
John Moraga: $17,000

Rory MacDonald: $48,000 (includes $24,000 win bonus)
Jake Ellenberger: $52,000

Robbie Lawler: $156,000 (includes $78,000 win bonus)
Bobby Voelker: $12,000

Liz Carmouche: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus)
Jessica Andrade: $8,000

Jorge Masvidal: $66,000 (includes $33,000 win bonus)
Michael Chiesa: $15,000

Danny Castillo: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus)
Tim Means: $12,000

Melvin Guillard: $84,000 (includes $42,000 win bonus)
Mac Danzig: $30,000

Daron Cruickshank: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
Yves Edwards: $21,000

Ed Herman: $74,000 (includes $37,000 win bonus)
Trevor Smith: $8,000

Germaine de Randamie: $18,000 (includes $9000 win bonus)
Julie Kedzie: $9,000

Justin Salas: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
Aaron Riley: $14,000

Yaotzin Meza: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus)
John Albert: $10,000

Affliction Divio Divided Shirt

Affliction Divio Divided Shirt

Affliction Sentient Shirt

Affliction Sentient Shirt

IIAces site profile image

7/31/13 1:50 PM by IIAces

The president issue you made is just dumb. Your damn right I want to know what the president makes and what they are spending money on. It's my money they are spending. I pay taxes I should know where my money goes. I vote to elect presidents. They are suppose to work for the people. Which means he works for me and everyone in the US. Now tell me besides government who financials are my business.

IIAces site profile image

7/31/13 1:42 PM by IIAces

You put what I was basically saying all along, but in way better words. I was trying to do to many things at once when I jumped in to the discussion yesterday. VTFU

Y2JB site profile image

7/31/13 8:20 AM by Y2JB

This is not a moral issue, it's a legal issue. If you signed a legal document to do 10 fights at 15/15 then you are legally obliged to do just that. No one forced MM to sign anything, he did sign though and so HAS to fulfill the terms of the contract. How is that in any way difficult to understand?!

john_d1974 site profile image

7/31/13 3:25 AM by john_d1974

the fuck does Herman get paid all that!

Deputy Porker site profile image

7/30/13 8:41 PM by Deputy Porker

Out of all the fighter pay non sense this one really struck a cord in me the champ who arguably put on the best performance of the whole show didn't get paid the most

newjack900 site profile image

7/30/13 8:11 PM by newjack900

<blockquote>Thacommish - <blockquote>TheLuckyMilkMan - <blockquote>newjack900 - I'll say it again, the Strikeforce contracts seem to be much more reasonable than those we continue to see from the UFC. I understand that Strikeforce was bought out, but we are talking about an MMA giant in the UFC - they can afford to make similiar contracts than those made by Strikeforce and Affliction. As far as I know there isn't a lot of guaranteed $ and signing bonuses in these contracts and the UFC can get out of them anytime due to performance - there really isnt much risk in it...</blockquote><br /> The fact that those organizations dont exist anymore tells you nothing?</blockquote><br />If strikeforce/affliction was pulling ufc numbers/revenue do you think the salaries would still be considered bloated? They did more with less dont forget that.</blockquote><br /> Yea it tells me they weren't the mma giant that the ufc is (which I pointed out). Are you sayin that you believe those orgs had the fanbase (domestic and/or worldwide), revenue, ppv #s that the UFC has? I think we all kno that if the ufc paid their established fighters along the lines that strikeforce did they wouldn't be anywhere near the red - & if they have a guy on a bigger contract who fails to perform - ufc could say hey your being released or we can renegotiate - they hold all the power (which is why the contracts are what they are to begin w)

thatcpjguy site profile image

7/30/13 8:01 PM by thatcpjguy

It depends on what a contract says. If you negotiated for things like bonus money for earning a title and for title defenses then you would get that. However if that's not on the contract you have to wait til the contract is up or until you hit a point you can renegotiate it. Really though for as bad as these UFC contracts must be, it says something that Roy Nelson signed for 9 more fights. I really am interested to seeing what he gets for his next fight.

Ep32nv site profile image

7/30/13 7:26 PM by Ep32nv

I agree, he and others that fight hard win or lose should get paid more. I just believe the fighters that say they are being paid more that the contractual obligation. But honestly the last fight MM finished was WEC 52 on 11/11/10. Not exactly a huge arguing point when looking to get paid more.With that said I think regardless of contracts the UFC SHOULD have a minimum pay for Champions. $29k is pretty cheap. (Again I assume he is getting money under the table)

Thacommish site profile image

7/30/13 7:10 PM by Thacommish

Its not me suggesting what zuffa would or should do, its me flat out saying just because a contract is signed does not make it right, or without flaws. I find it odd that people like aces see a guy like mighty mouse making danny castillo money and take a stance that says "Just because something good happens doesn't mean Zuffa should throw out its current contract. " when at any given moment if something bad happens zuffa throws out the entire contract altogether. Seems a little assbackwards, and i d rather see more steps taken to protect the fighter, or to try to advocate more pay especially in the cases where they have done beyond what is required to earn it like MM has. How many people has done what he has done to the top of their division?

mrwhipple site profile image

7/30/13 7:01 PM by mrwhipple

Weren't the rumors at the time that they were between $10 mi to $20 mil in debt, or about what half the UFC was at one point? Didn't they also supposedly start finally turning a minor profit at the very end and that the reason SVSE wanted to sell was because they thought it too risky after their Fedor-Overeem ppv fell apart to wait and see if they could get a ppv business going?The big question is though, if Strikeforce was doomed no matter what why then did they pay that much for them instead of just letting them go under and pickup these overpriced talent at a bargain?