Overeem: I still want to be UFC heavyweight champion

When Alistair Overeem first migrated to the UFC from Strikeforce, he was offered an immediate heavyweight title fight. Overeem chose to fight immediately instead of wait for his title fight, and went 1-1 in the UFC before being suspended for a postive drug test. Now back and scheduled to fight Overeem, the UFC title is still on the mind of the Dutch heavyweight:

"Yes absolutely (this is a fresh start)," Overeem told Bleacher Report. "I believe that both Browne and myself are top ranked fighters and the winner of this fight will be one step closer in getting a title shot, so in that sense I know this fight can put me right on track as I still have one goal in life and that's becoming the UFC heavyweight champion.

"I know there are more fighters going after that number one spot but with the nature of the sport anything can happen. So my main focus is my next fight and afterwards we will see who or when I will be fighting next."

No Mas Pride Beanie

No Mas Pride Beanie

Hayabusa Mirai Series Shin Guards

Hayabusa Mirai Series Shin Guards

epwar site profile image

8/18/13 1:03 AM by epwar

TTT

Jone2tone site profile image

8/8/13 9:48 PM by Jone2tone

I don't think people are overlooking him, I just think a lot of people are overestimating where he'll stand in the current division.He's shown his gas tank has nothing on Cain, and his striking defense isn't as good as he'd need it to be to have a competitive fight with JDS. Since one of the two is going to be champ before Reem gets his shot, I'd safely guess one of them will be his opponent. So, no, not saying he's "mid-tier" or anything - just that compared to the Champ and #1 contender he needs some work.

ILoveJohnson'sJohnson site profile image

8/8/13 9:40 PM by ILoveJohnson'sJohnson

Oh shit I didn't know u lived with him and saw all that stuff. Must have been an experience.

wpipes site profile image

8/8/13 9:34 PM by wpipes

Bout^

wpipes site profile image

8/8/13 9:33 PM by wpipes

I hope he beats Browne and then gets a rematch with big foot. If he wins impressively in those and the other heavys look so so and not impressive...I'd like to see him get a shot. That's his easiest and most winnable route. I also think he has werdums number. As long as he can avoid the loser of the Cain/jds bout he has a legit shot at a title hot in about 9-10 months.

jon_m site profile image

8/8/13 9:17 PM by jon_m

I got a quick question for someone who knows about juicing: After the Bigfoot fight, it came out that Reem's T-levels were crazy low. If he doesn't get approved for TRT (or doesn't attempt to) will his levels stay low, or will they naturally rise on their own? Thanks in advance.

idsmashit site profile image

8/8/13 6:40 PM by idsmashit

£200 for £300 back Overeem Paddy Power wondering if its worth it? :)

ipponssting site profile image

8/8/13 2:07 PM by ipponssting

Overeem will end up in a title fight at some point IMO. It's whether he wins which is the debatable point.

Arlovskis Chin site profile image

8/8/13 12:33 PM by Arlovskis Chin

100%. If he got dominated by Bigfoot then I understand the mid level jibes people are giving him, but he didn't, he brutalised Brock then got clipped by the biggest hands in the UFC who belong to someone who has to cut weight to make 265lbs. He'll be back.

jack_wilshere site profile image

8/8/13 8:45 AM by jack_wilshere

You want a 12 inch cock?

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!