Matt Brown: I don't really care if I win or lose

Matt Brown is currently riding a five bout win streak, and with a sixth win will likely put himself near contention for a welterweight title shot. However, Brown isn't concerned with winning or losing:

What Distinguishes Him From The Rest Of The Pack

I guess the biggest thing that might be different about me is that I'm not afraid to lose. I go out there to fight, and I don't really care if I win or lose. I'm just going to fight. That's about the only thing I can think of.

Rankings

You know, all that stuff is just superficial to me. I'm just here to fight and do the best I can. All the other stuff will kind of take care of itself. It's not really my concern at the moment. Maybe after the fight I'll think about stuff like that. At this point, I know that I've got a really tough guy in front of me, and that's all I can worry about right now.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

RYU Signature Tee LE

RYU Signature Tee LE

Hayabusa Fade Flip Flop

Hayabusa Fade Flip Flop

DNAsmoothie site profile image

8/17/13 10:43 AM by DNAsmoothie

Joe Rogan recently described Matt on his podcast and he was spot on, Brown is a beast!

Leck Brosnar site profile image

8/17/13 10:37 AM by Leck Brosnar

Tweener gets it. Fighting to win also keeps your winning bonus checks coming in and secures your job. I just hope guys like Matt Brown make enough money for entertaining us before they have to retire.

Tweener site profile image

8/17/13 10:27 AM by Tweener

I suppose it's good for the fans - because if he doesn't care, then why play it safe...But for your own career? If you don't really care if you lose - then how can you possibly drive yourself to the top? You've got to care - winning has got to become your life. You don't become a champion by being indifferent.This is your job; the life path you chose to support yourself and your family. You'd better damn care, or eventually you'll find yourself making piddly poop on some other fight circuit.I don't know - seems like a negative quality to have in an athlete to me. If I were drafting players to my team (let's say hockey), I'd certainly avoid anyone who said they didn't really care if they won or lost... What's their motivation to give 100% every practice and every game if they've become almost apathetic. I want my players to be obsessed with winning; I want losing to make them stay awake all night wondering how the fuck they lost and thinking about every little detail of that loss and figuring out what they need to change and how they can do it. I don't want them saying "eh, doesn't really matter".

Leck Brosnar site profile image

8/17/13 10:19 AM by Leck Brosnar

Skilless? Where did I say that? Brown is an OK fighter and will be remembered for 2 years, while the guys who actually fight to WIN, will be remembered for 50. Just stating the obvious...

Leck Brosnar site profile image

8/17/13 10:15 AM by Leck Brosnar

So Serra beats GSP and Nick doesn't, does that tell you anything about Nicky boy? And why do you go offtopic, I was just keeping it real. You seem mad brother ;)

blueheron20816 site profile image

8/17/13 10:15 AM by blueheron20816

youre an idiot if you think brown is just a skill-less meathead, you dont win 5 fight in a row against guys like Mien and swick without it.

SickEyeDiaz site profile image

8/17/13 10:13 AM by SickEyeDiaz

You're right...I do love it when people who are consiered "bums" beat the ever-living shit out of their adversary and make them wilt in submission!

Leck Brosnar site profile image

8/17/13 9:42 AM by Leck Brosnar

To be realistic, fighters like him are what make the greats (GOATs) great. Brown is exciting but that's where his legacy will stay at. If you just want pure excitement, why not literally watch bumfights or something like that?

caposa site profile image

8/17/13 9:27 AM by caposa

Matt Brown will be with the UFC for a long time

Herman Munster site profile image

8/17/13 9:22 AM by Herman Munster

Rory dismantled Pyle  in less than a round.  Lets see if Brown can even get passed Pyle before considering him for Rory.  Plus, Dana wants Rory/Lawler.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!