Shogun: I love to fight, want to become world champion again

Saturday night Chael Sonnen pulled Guard and tapped out Mauricio Rua with a Guillotine. A stunned Shogun sat on the canvas, and stunned fans sat in the seats worldwide. It was Shogun's first back to back loss ever, his first loss via sub since 2007, his first first round submission loss ever, and dropped him to a losing 5-6 in the UFC.

His older brother Murilo offered critical words about his camp.

"My brother needs someone, he needs a head coach who can listen to," said 'Ninja.' "I always told him the truth no matter what, but I had issues with trainers from his camp... He has a lot of shady persons around him, people trying to take advantage of him."

Perhaps in response, Rua’s manager Leonardo Salomao released a statement on behalf of the fighter.

"Mauricio invested a lot in this camp, trained with the best, went to the United States to learn new techniques, so we decided to maintain the same team," said Salomao. "He trained with Freddie Roach in the US, took Jacob Harman to Curitiba, had the support of Glaube Feitosa, Roberto Gordo and Renato Babalu on his corner. He was really well prepared, but Sonnen was better. Mauricio is a winner and I’m sure he will be back."

Rua himself was also quoted in the release.

"I have 11 years in MMA and Vale Tudo, I won everything I always wanted," said Rua. "I achieved everything I dreamed, but I want to do that again. I still want many victories; I still want to become the world champion again. Who decides when I will stop or not is myself, no one else. Thank God I’m financially stable, and I keep fighting because I love it."

"I’m a really competitive guy, who hates to be defeated. I know I did everything I should have done during my preparation, but Sonnen was better on the fight. Unfortunately, in the fight, we have to wait a lot to return and bounce back. In soccer, you lose on Sunday and win on Wednesday, everything is ok. I’ll get back home, see what went wrong on the fight and train hard to make sure that mistake won’t happen again."

Read entire article...

tags: UFN 26   Mauricio Rua   Shogun   Chael Sonnen (detail)

Rambo John J site profile image

9/7/13 11:21 AM by Rambo John J

darwinsmunky- He did used to have muscular pecs. now they are like gone, I think that is might be the yes men theory. He needs to get tapped and tested in camp so he can regain his edge. TRT would not hurt, because I am sick of him fighting guys who have redefined their careers while using synthetic testosterone.(Chael and Dan) Never heard if Chael passed his TRT level test. Guess nobody cares, odd since he has abused Synth Testosterone before. Without TRT Chael would still be a MW.

darwinsmunky site profile image

9/7/13 5:53 AM by darwinsmunky

The only disgrace is a faggot like you posting ignorant shit like this. He was caught off guard by a juiced up gorilla. What he really needs is to take some time off and let that melon of his heal up. Hes been in too many back to back wars. The last thing any of us expected was for chael to drop guard on him. That would have caught anyone by surprise. I believe, like many others, that he needs to make adjustments in his camp, but above all, he just needs a long rest. And fuck all this talk about him needing to succumb to the status quo and start taking trt. Hes only 31 years old and unless he has an actual medical condition unlike all these other cocksuckers who are just looking to cheat the system until their balls fall off and have to take that shit lest they grow a pair of tits, theres no reason for him to pollute his body with that. In addition to all of that, he has never had well developed pecks so why this has suddenly become a point of interest just means youve never followed his fights and need to stfu. Show some god damned respect.

ArthurKnoqOut site profile image

8/22/13 10:44 AM by ArthurKnoqOut

Lol nope, you can clearly see him adjusting it. Of course, you'd know better than any other bjj practitioner in the world lmao

Jons Forsberg site profile image

8/20/13 11:20 AM by Jons Forsberg

watch his arms, tard. he has both arms in by the time they're on their feet.

gokudamus stole my name iv site profile image

8/20/13 11:14 AM by gokudamus stole my name iv

You know he would still fight guys like Chael at 185, too, since Chael is himself a 185er?

ArthurKnoqOut site profile image

8/20/13 9:32 AM by ArthurKnoqOut

some serious losers in this thread wow... forsberg. really Chael stood there for 5 seconds deciding or was he standing there locking it up as anyone who has trained the guillotine a single day in their life would tell you? Jeez, no wonder no fighter wants to come on the UG anymore.As far as his training, Cordeiro has to be right; when was the last time you saw Shogun training hard in any of the training videos they showed? Hitting the pads doesn't count. His SnC is a joke. I'm only interning under a SnC coach and obviously his injuries have a lot to do with his sub-par training, I'm sure, but if anyone has seen him training on the beach, you can tell he wasn't putting in anywhere NEAR 100% :(

scrapper04 site profile image

8/20/13 8:24 AM by scrapper04

Exactly! Controlling the head is basic wrestling 101. Numerous wrestling techs revolve around the front headlock situation. A wrestler of Sonnen's level is very equipped for any and every type of front choke. Yes Shogun should have recognized this but those TRT arms were too much.

scrapper04 site profile image

8/20/13 8:17 AM by scrapper04

Shogun is best suited for MW. He needs to follow in Wand's footsteps and make the drop where he will be much more suited and better matched physically. Against guys like Bones Jones and Chael he looks like a Welter Wt.

Jons Forsberg site profile image

8/20/13 4:19 AM by Jons Forsberg

what's funny is he trained with Babalu who did choke him out with a guillotine when they fought.

ChokeEmOut site profile image

8/20/13 2:23 AM by ChokeEmOut

It just proves he didn't train worth a damn and trains with people he can run over at will.He should be ashamed, there is no recovering from such a pathetic loss like that.