History Of MMA: Fred Ettish

In a moving profile by the brilliant Bobby Razak, MMA pioneer Fred Ettish talks about being shunned by both the traditional and mixed martial artists, bringing the best part of TMA to MMA, and his life falling apart following the death of his son, and what may be his last MMA fight, at the 'tender' age of 53.

"A strong person finds a way to overcome," reminds Ettish. "I lost a physical fight, but I didn't lose the emotional fight. I will never lose the emotional fight - I will always find a way to overcome, always, no matter what it is."

History Of MMA: Fred Ettish from Bobby Razak on Vimeo.

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

tags: UFC   Fred Ettish (detail)  video

bradu site profile image

8/21/13 1:26 PM by bradu

Such an interesting interview. Even if you laughed at Ettish when you first saw him at UFC 2, you have to respect the courage he showed and you can't help but respect and like him now. He's been an active and respectful member of the UG community for a long time. Even that in itself shows courage...most pro fighters have been run off these boards because of the lack of respect they get, and yet Ettish, perhaps the most poked fun at UFC fighter in history, is still here.

sniper1026 site profile image

8/21/13 1:04 PM by sniper1026

TTT

DeuceDroppin site profile image

8/21/13 11:19 AM by DeuceDroppin

Yes that's the same thing that I thought when I saw that there would be more of this played out "Mexican" shit. I think Bobby does great work, was disappointed to see that, so I figured I'd give him a little shit. Respect to BobbyRespect to FredThe played out Mexican shit = LAME!

Sober site profile image

8/21/13 10:30 AM by Sober

ttt for Fred and Bobby.I always enjoy Fred's posts...they're always insightful and he always posts in a respectful manner. He definitely has a unique perspective on everything. I wish him nothing but the best. Also, did you release an earlier version of this short? Seems like I remember seeing it a while back...and it included Fred giving some background on why he was so discombobulated going into the cage. Like he wasn't even supposed to fight, but they told him to stick around in case there was an injury. Then they end up giving him like 5 or 10 minutes notice that he was supposed to fight next and he had to run around and find his gear (possibly cornermen) and never even had time to warm up. It was basically a clusterfuck from the very beginning. Maybe I just remember him telling that part of the story somewhere else. Anyway, looking forward to the movie.

Bootsy Collins site profile image

8/21/13 9:45 AM by Bootsy Collins

Yawn

DeuceDroppin site profile image

8/21/13 8:02 AM by DeuceDroppin

Who is "Mexican Fighter" about? Julio Cesar Chavez? What does Cain have to do with this film?

Bootsy Collins site profile image

8/21/13 6:29 AM by Bootsy Collins

Man- it's sort of strange how, in a one-sided loss, Ettish came to personify everything there is about budo.The guy is a legit role-model & that's a term that gets thrown around way too much these days.His honesty, perseverance & eloquence are qualities anyone should aspire to.I'd normally be quite cyncial/jaded about stories like these but theres a man anyone can & I absolutely do look up to.

1man gangbang site profile image

8/21/13 2:36 AM by 1man gangbang

Fred is a man with brass balls. He knew was risking ridicule and still went for it. 95% of the people on here would have not even showed up.....Fred fought for honor. and I respect the shit out of that.

Alumynabjj site profile image

8/21/13 1:15 AM by Alumynabjj

In

TaptouT site profile image

8/21/13 12:35 AM by TaptouT

It's too bad that you had to deal with such criticism through the years from everyone in the Karate & MMA communities, but it seems to have built a strong character in you Fred. Much respect for stepping in the cage and winning at 53. Thanks Fred, your video motivated me.