Barnett ready for his first UFC title defense

Josh Barnett won the UFC heavyweight title in March of 2002, defeating Randy Couture by TKO. Barnett then left the organization to fight overseas and returning ten years later, feels like he will finally defend that heavyweight title he won ten years ago:

“When I walk in the ring, in my mind, I’m making my first title defense. That’s the way I see it,” he said on a recent episode of MMA’s Great Debate.

Barnett’s last UFC outing was in March 2002 when he stopped Randy Couture in the second round to win a belt that he would subsequently be stripped of after testing positive for a banned substance.

Barnett went on to fight for Pride, where he faced the likes of Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic, Mark Hunt and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira. The 35-year-old compared Mir’s career fighting in the UFC unfavorably with his own, while he competed in Japan.

“We’ve always been in different places, even when he was fighting for titles. No one ever took my belt from me, so I don’t know what belt they were swinging around, but that wasn’t the UFC heavyweight title as far as I was concerned and I was off at Pride fighting the top dudes in the world at the time.”

Shock Doctor Mouthguard Case

Shock Doctor Mouthguard Case

Shock Doctor Ultra Boxer Length Compression Short with Ultra Carbon Flex Cup

Shock Doctor Ultra Boxer Length Compression Short with Ultra Carbon Flex Cup

FullyLoadedFists site profile image

9/1/13 11:56 AM by FullyLoadedFists

Defended!

Shoulda done a background check on Chael site profile image

8/28/13 1:06 PM by Shoulda done a background check on Chael

Valid bring up.   I can and will make some arguments to give Barnett some slack, but at the end of the day, I still would like to hear him address it. Hearing him downplay it has a bigger downplaying affect than coming up with reasons or hearing them elsewhere.   Couture has been suspected of trt/peds. Brock has been suspected. Overeem has been guilty. The man Barnett is facing is currently taking testosterone with a doctors exemption note The man who Cain just defended his title against has tested positive for peds.   My point is Barnett isn't the only one to do them or get caught. Barnett however, is the only one who has ties to "bringing down a promotion", however there's more to it than just the failed ua, but that definitely was the straw that broke the camels back.   Anyways, Barnett, hw champion once again, late 2013   one can hope right

KingD87 site profile image

8/28/13 10:49 AM by KingD87

Has he ever addressed his multiple steroid busts? I mean some guys come clean, some deny, what has he said?

TexDeuce site profile image

8/28/13 10:30 AM by TexDeuce

So the belt is finally unified huh?

Reed Rothchild site profile image

8/27/13 10:27 PM by Reed Rothchild

What's Vitamin S? Is it like Vitamin B-12?

allforroy site profile image

8/27/13 9:35 PM by allforroy

So psyched for the fight and don't see Barnett losing.

JStrongMMA site profile image

8/27/13 8:43 PM by JStrongMMA

I don't know. I agree that style is not pretty but he was able to control Mir against the cage and land some nice combos from the clinch. I was a bit dissapointed that Cormier wasn't willing to go to the ground at all, though.

hogh20 site profile image

8/27/13 7:34 PM by hogh20

Couture did that to Vera and got booed. Some consider it one of the worst main events in UFC history. How was it different than Cormier vs Mir? Cormier pushed him against the fence. Yes, hit him a few times. That is all. He barely engaged at all.

JStrongMMA site profile image

8/27/13 9:40 AM by JStrongMMA

Cormier didn't push him against the fence. Cormier beat him up from the clinch. That fight gets way more criticism than it should.

Pandanus site profile image

8/27/13 9:27 AM by Pandanus

Two words.Pure. West. And why doesn’t Batman dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!