How Court McGee fought back from heroin addiction

Court McGee fights Robert Whittaker on the main card of tonights UFC Fight NIght: Condit vs. Kampmann on Fox Sports 1.

His path to UFC fame was far longer than most, following a heroin overdose in 2005 that left him clinically dead. Now a successful UFC fighter, McGee offers a truly compelling anti-addiction message.

McGee started with alcohol and that escalated to prescription drugs after a surgery. When that wasn’t enough, he began snorting pain pills.

His addiction caused his high school sweetheart, Chelsea, to leave him and he lost his job at an excavating company. His parents kicked him out of their home and father Ron said they even had to put a lock on their bedroom door “so he wouldn’t go snooping around in there.” McGee was in and out of jail on multiple charges.

“I was strung out, the heroin addict, the drunk, the liar, the cheat, the thief,” McGee said. “That’s who I thought I was. I never thought I was going to amount to nothing.”

And that was just the beginning. Instead of turning his life around then, McGee fell into an even darker place. He began using heroin.

“I didn’t have any direction in my life,” McGee said. “I was miserable. Heroin took that pain away. Once I did it, I was hooked. I said this is my friend now. This took care of all my problems.”

Until it nearly ended his life for good. Then the slow recovery process came – and not without relapses. McGee fell back into substance abuse three more times, including five months after the overdose when he had a sip of a Long Island Iced Tea in Las Vegas and the next thing he remembers is waking up four days later in Iowa with no pants on, foraging for crystal meth.

But now McGee has not had a drink or used a drug since April 16, 2006.

After getting clean, the Utah native went back to help coach his old high school wrestling team, then took up Brazilian jiu jitsu and boxing. Before long he was winning pro MMA fights and in 2010 he won the UFC’s “Ultimate Fighter” reality show.

Chelsea eventually returned and is now his wife. They have two kids together. His family trusts him again and the father who once gave up on him is in Indianapolis for his big fight against Whittaker.

“My job now is to carry the message to people who struggle out there,” McGee said. “My job allows me to do that and it allows me to be a dad. It allows me to be all these things I never thought I could be.”

Read entire article...

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

tags: UFC   Court McGee (detail)

Jweinberg site profile image

8/30/13 2:25 PM by Jweinberg

Dude- why would write something like that? You are either a twisted, miserable troll, or hateful cunt- not cool. Grow up- His story and any other story like his- is inspirational and could save a life.

Keithadamberrydotcom site profile image

8/30/13 2:16 PM by Keithadamberrydotcom

I've talked to Matt Brown about his troubles and he said his addiction was meth and alcohol. He said he did use oxycontins and other painkillers sometimes but not primarily.

BJ Penn Forever site profile image

8/28/13 5:05 PM by BJ Penn Forever

later

Vette13 site profile image

8/28/13 5:04 PM by Vette13

I got to hang out with Court at his parents house right after he won TUF.  That is an awesome family.  They made me and my wife feel like we had know them for years.  His dad took me right into the garage and got me a beer and Court came right up to me and started bullshitting with me.  It was awesome.

CgBones site profile image

8/28/13 5:01 PM by CgBones

He is probably "proud" of it more than "flaunting" it and wants to help people who can relate to addiction.So pull ya tongue out of Matt's ass and keep ya snide comments to yourself.

JDjitsu site profile image

8/28/13 4:30 PM by JDjitsu

Ever since I heard/read about Court being an ex addict, I've been even more of a fan. To come back from a heroin and alcohol addiction is quite a feat, let alone becoming an pro mma fighter, getting his girl back and becoming a father. Cheers!

JeffersonDArcyChoke site profile image

8/28/13 3:41 PM by JeffersonDArcyChoke

"the father who once gave up on him is in Indianapolis for his big fight against Robert Whittaker"Of course he is. So, you gave up on your son then he needed you but you can be there when he is in the spotlight and can be of benefit?I'm an addict/alcoholic. I could have been kicked out. Who knows where I'd be. My Dad was there for me and I gave him my best efforts. Looking back, the EASY thing would have been Dad kicking me out. The hard thing was to not do that. All I know is that if someone kicked me out and wasn't around when I got clean, I'd not exactly welcome them back when I'm doing things they might want the perks of being associated with. I would like to know more about his relationship with his Dad.

Knuckle Sandwich site profile image

8/28/13 3:35 PM by Knuckle Sandwich

With your pants off, of course.

Zed Wayne Zed site profile image

8/28/13 3:31 PM by Zed Wayne Zed

I like how he wears glasses to the weigh-ins.He's like an Amish librarian who can throw mean hands.

Keithadamberrydotcom site profile image

8/28/13 3:01 PM by Keithadamberrydotcom

McGee is a warrior.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!