Mir, Barnett, White: Stoppage was early

Saturday night Josh Barnett defeated Frank Mir by Referee Stops Contest (Strikes, Round 1, 1:56). However, the stoppage by the highly-regarded Rob Hinds was controversial.

"F---ing ridiculous stoppage!!!!" tweeted UFC presiden Dana White immediately after the stoppage. "The guys with experience make mistakes. That guy had no business being in the Co Main event!"

Frank Mir too expressed similar sentiments at the post-fight press conference.

"Obviously I thought it was a bad stoppage," said Mir. "We're fighters. If every fight was stopped on any kind of a flash shot or anything like that — actually, I took the knee, and I remember going, 's--- I'm in a bad position.' And that's why I dropped my other knee out from underneath me so that could fall to the ground and make sure I didn't take a second one. I didn't belly out, I didn't flatten out, and I actually tried to redig my underhook so that i could get a single. And I actually looked at the referee stopping it.

"And then at first I thought, maybe I was out? Did I take a bunch of shots that didn't see? And then after watching it, I was conscious the whole time. Even when I stood up I wasn't wobbled, I was completely coherent. So at best your argument is it was a flash knock down. I didn't know fights stopped on that. If that was the case I never would have beaten [Antonio Rodrigo] Nogueira, I don't think we would have seen Travis Browne knock out [Alistair] Overeem last week. There are too many fights in our sport that are exciting, and you've got to let us fight. I didn't sign up for a tennis match. It's nothing against Josh, he's a great fighter and he did what he had to do."

"I think the fans got robbed. I got screwed over. The fact that I trained so hard for that fight to keep up a pace that I knew I could have driven hard through for three rounds. Say what you will about Jackson's camp and game planning, everybody comes in shape. I showed up in shape on the scale, I showed up in shape out there, with my motivation — it sucks to do everything right and just have the door shut on you."

Perhaps surprisingly Barnett too felt the stoppage was early.

"I actually do feel that it was an early stoppage," said The Warmaster. "I would always prefer to get the clean finish."

Read entire article...

What do you think UG?

Shock Doctor Ultra Boxer Length Compression Short with Ultra Carbon Flex Cup

Shock Doctor Ultra Boxer Length Compression Short with Ultra Carbon Flex Cup

Shock Doctor Mouthguard Case

Shock Doctor Mouthguard Case

JStrongMMA site profile image

9/5/13 9:45 PM by JStrongMMA

I just rewatched the fight and I like the stoppage. Mir recovered quick but he was out and the ref made an on the spot decision to end the fight in an effort to protect Frank.Also, what was up with the Milwaukee crowd booing Josh so badly?

Haulport site profile image

9/5/13 9:35 PM by Haulport

Frank is full of shit. He collapsed when he took that knee. His legs completely gave out. It was a matter of time before Josh beat him into complete unconsciousness. That being said, this isn't an amateur fight. This was a fight between two former ufc CHAMPS and he should have been given a chance to recover. The ref stunk....

Doem site profile image

9/5/13 9:03 PM by Doem

lol at mir's accounting, but that stoppage was early.

JudOWNED site profile image

9/5/13 8:53 PM by JudOWNED

I wasn't necessarily crying "early stoppage" when I saw this fight, but I couldn't help but compare it to the recent UFN. At least 3 fights on that card had fighters in similar spots where I have often seen fights stopped, like Mir's, but they were allowed to continue. In all cases there was quite a bit more fight left. And in at least one case, the guy who was in trouble ended up getting the D.I am all for fighter safety, but turtling in and of itself isn't grounds to stop a fight, imo. If they are still covering up and protecting themselves, let it continue. Many times they can fight their way out of it.

Leghound site profile image

9/2/13 8:51 PM by Leghound

"And that's why I dropped my other knee out from underneath" It's been said 1000 times in this thread already, I'm sure, but LO fucking L at this.  There isn't a human alive that can 'drop his legs' out at that angle

chokeyou site profile image

9/2/13 8:12 PM by chokeyou

Rematch? lolI say he fights for the 155 title next..I feel he could win that.

Osbot site profile image

9/2/13 7:41 PM by Osbot

Let's give Frank the benefit of the doubt here.He very well may have been thinking everything he said. It's just that the off switch got hit and his body went into dirt nap mode.

ranier wolfcastle site profile image

9/2/13 5:05 PM by ranier wolfcastle

looked like he went limp and then fumbled getting to his feet

Herman Munster site profile image

9/2/13 3:24 PM by Herman Munster

No problems at all with that stoppage.  Dana should stfu.  Mir is getting to be an old man with no chance of winning a title again... He doesn't need to take senseless brain damage for the sake of trying to come back and win a meaningless fight against Josh Barnett at this stage.  Barnett wasn't going to pull a Nog and start trying to go for idiotic submissions.  He was just going to keep bashing his brains in while this old man was clearly laying on queer street..  History has shown us with Mir, when he is dropped/rocked he isn't going to recover, and spare me any mention of the Lesnar fight.

Jason Reinhardt site profile image

9/2/13 3:06 PM by Jason Reinhardt

to josh's credit...that was an awesome display of clinch work with that left under-hook, while controlling the head with the right shooting the well placed knee. (I think i'm gonna have the guys work on this tonight at the gym) And to Franks credit, had Frank not been in the best shape I think we've seen him in a long time, he wouldn't have recovered so quickly. Much Respect to both Warriors. Let's see it again.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!