Renzo Gracie's art of fighting, without fighting

In a memorable scene from Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon, Lee demonstrates the art of fighting, without fighting.

Stephie Daniels recently interviewed World Series of Fighting middleweight prospect Dave Branch, who relayed a story from his instructor, Renzo Gracie, about the art of fighting, without fighting.

He told me a story about one time when he was in Brazil. There was a bully that kept f---ing with him, right. Renzo said that he couldn't beat the guy, because the guy was much bigger than he was. The bully, in Brazil, he was like a good soccer player or something, so Renzo tricked him.

He told the bully to meet him at the beach. Renzo took two boxes, and one of the boxes was empty, it was just an empty box. He took the other box, and he put it over a small boulder. He told the guy, 'I bet you my man, I can kick this box farther than you into the water.'

Of course he kicked the box that didn't have a rock on the inside of it. He kicked the hell out of that box [laughs]. The bully is like, 'Aw man, you can't kick this box farther than me', and the guy went to kick the box as hard as he could, and he broke his foot.

Read entire article...

Roots of Fight Jiu Jitsu Gracie Shirt

Roots of Fight Jiu Jitsu Gracie Shirt

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Guilhotina Shirt

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Guilhotina Shirt

tags: WSoF   Dave Branch   Renzo Gracie (detail)  video

CindyO site profile image

9/9/13 6:08 PM by CindyO

I love Renzo and since Crooklyn penned it I have no doubt its another stellar contribution to the UG! Gonna read in a bit!   Cindy

Mark Hunter site profile image

9/9/13 5:55 PM by Mark Hunter

You, kind sir, have been officially voted up on your own site.

Chulio site profile image

9/9/13 4:59 PM by Chulio

That version with the cousin makes for sense. In my neighborhood you would get your ass kicked way before you went to get some boxes.Element of surprise always worked for me.

jiujitsu100 site profile image

9/9/13 2:41 PM by jiujitsu100

I know this story, David Branch told it pretty badly. The guy was actually his older cousin who Renzo lived with, and he would bully renzo constantly. I was there when Renzo told the story in front of the dude in Brazil. His name was Rodrigo I think, but not the Rodrigo that fights but one who never trained, just gambled and caused shit. Funny dude.

Soup and Beer site profile image

9/8/13 11:29 PM by Soup and Beer

lol, I thought this thread was going to be about Greg Jackson strategy.

BenBJJ site profile image

9/8/13 5:25 AM by BenBJJ

You know who honestly seems like the nicest guy you could meet? Marcelo Garcia. Renzo has something about him that just seems off. I may be wrong, but it just seems like that. MG however is exactly how he seems.

Bucephalus site profile image

9/8/13 5:19 AM by Bucephalus

Holy shit! I did the same thing to a kid who was bullying me in school. He was two grades older. Except it was orange cones, not boxes. And it was rebar inside the cone.... He broke a couple of his toes. He was crying too. It was awesome. He beat the shit out of me later that year though.

Mchaggus site profile image

9/8/13 2:10 AM by Mchaggus

Blue would you kindly..[url=http://imgflip.com/i/3h6mi][img]http://i.imgflip.com/3h6mi.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://imgflip.com/memegenerator]via Imgflip Meme Maker[/url][url=http://imgflip.com/i/3h6o5][img]http://i.imgflip.com/3h6o5.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://imgflip.com/memegenerator]via Imgflip Meme Maker[/url]How is this not already a meme

Allen Hood site profile image

9/7/13 8:19 PM by Allen Hood

Subbed for later I love me some Renzo

cm81 site profile image

9/7/13 7:57 PM by cm81

And what's wrong with standing up for your wife? :)You guys expect fighters to be like Jesus or something. Yeah, Renzo slapped a guy for verbally abusing his wife. Well to me, that makes him an honorable person. Anyone that says otherwise is not someone you want as a friend.

MMA clothing and gear